BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Sunday, 11 June, 2000, 00:02 GMT 01:02 UK
Macedonia alarmed by more border incidents

Macedonia says its army has been put on combat alert following reports of more armed incidents along its border with Kosovo.

The defence ministry said unidentified gunmen from inside Kosovo had opened fire on two border checkpoints near the village of Lojane and at Dolno Blace and troops had returned the fire.

There were no reports of any casualties.

Earlier in the week, President Boris Trajkovski ordered the reinforcement of border security after two Macedonian soldiers were wounded by sniper fire. Four soldiers were kidnapped in April, but were later released. Ethnic Albanians make up almost a third of Macedonia's population, but the country managed to stay out of the Kosovo conflict last year.

From the newsroom of the BBC World Service

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories