BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Americas
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Saturday, 10 June, 2000, 23:08 GMT 00:08 UK
Bombing range protesters arrested
Vieques island, Puerto Rico
Vieques: Scene of the US Navy's war games
US Military security agents have arrested 14 people for trespassing on the US Navy bombing range on the Puerto Rican island of Vieques.

The group were taken to the naval station Roosevelt Roads, on the main island of Puerto Rico, according to US Navy spokesman Robert Nelson.

They were detained, but later released without charge. However, they have been ordered to appear before a federal judge at an undetermined date, he said.

Bombing exercises resumed last month on Vieques in the face of stiff opposition from local people. The Navy says the base is vital in training US forces for combat.

Among those arrested was a former director of the US territory's local Administration of Courts, Euladio Torres.


The group entered the bombing range at about 2145 on Friday (1645 GMT), and were walking on the main road of the Navy's Camp Garcia base when they were detained, said Vieques activist Robert Rabin.

The activity was meant to draw attention to opposition of Navy bombing on the island and "make the normal functioning of military activities inside Camp Garcia impossible," said Mr Rabin.

Until last month, protesters had camped out on the bombing range for nearly a year following a bombing accident that killed a civilian security guard.

Raids

On 4 May, US marshalls raided the camps and arrested more than 200 protesters.

target
One of the rusting targets on Vieques

Since then dozens have been detained for trespassing, including a group of 25 protesters and six journalists on 1 June. They were later charged with trespassing on federal property

The Navy resumed bombing with concrete-filled dummy bombs shortly after the 4 May raid.

Islanders are to decide in a referendum whether the Navy should leave in 2003, or stay longer and resume using live ammunition.

The referendum has yet to be scheduled.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

09 May 00 | Americas
US resumes Puerto Rico bombing
04 May 00 | Americas
Arrests at US naval base
22 Feb 00 | Americas
Island protest against war games
03 Aug 99 | Americas
US navy takes blame for killing
12 Nov 98 | Crossing continents
Feature: Muddying the waters
Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories