| You are in: Sport: Football | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, 10 June, 2000, 16:47 GMT 17:47 UK
SA confident of Brazilian deal
![]() The Brazilian 2006 bidding team
South African Football Federation secretary Dennis Mumble has admitted he is confident of persuading Brazil to withdraw from the race to host the 2006 World Cup and support his county's bid instead.
Mumble said that negotiations had already taken place between the two countries in an attempt to reach agreement over bids for the 2006 and 2010 World Cups. "If the Brazilians wish to pull out and support us, we would obviously be willing to give them our support for 2010," said Mumble. Deal However earlier this week Brazilian legend Zico, who is president of his country's bid committee, dismissed the claims, saying: "As far as I am concerned nothing has changed." If such a deal is struck, the South American country would have to lobby for South Africa's bid in exchange for a reverse favour in 2010. The deal would also be a severe blow to England's hopes of staging the prestigious event. FIFA's executive committee are due to decide between the five countries - Brazil, England, South Africa, Germany and Morocco to stage the tournament at their meeting in Zurich on July 6. There are 20 votes available - three from South America, three from Central and North America, Asia and Africa have four, Europe eight while Oceania have one. FIFA president Sepp Blatter, whose preference for Africa to host football's showpiece is well documented, has the remaining vote. |
See also:
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|