BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Della Mathews
"Armed militia continue to roam the streets"
 real 28k

The BBC's Gyles Beckford
"Their aim is to try to get both sides to agree to a ceasefire"
 real 28k

Commodore Brian Robertson, Australian Navy
"There are a number of ships in the area"
 real 28k

Saturday, 10 June, 2000, 15:43 GMT 16:43 UK
Hope for Solomons peace
Solomons militia fighters
The militias agreed to a truce for the Commonwealth visit
Commonwealth officials have reported an encouraging start to their mediation mission in the strife-torn Solomon Islands, where rival militias are observing a ceasefire.

The Commonwealth delegation, led by the Australian and New Zealand foreign ministers, met the islands' premier, Bartholomew Ulufa'alu, who was freed from rebel detention only on Friday.

The delegation also held talks on Saturday with Andrew Nori, leader of the Malaita Eagle Force (MEF) which seized Mr Ulufa'alu in a coup last Monday.

"There is a way forward," Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer said afterwards.

He added that the Commonwealth team had been able to set up a process of negotiation between the parties involved.

Australian evacuees
Australian evacuees on board HMAS Tobruk in Honiara
Mr Downer and his New Zealand counterpart Phil Goff said they were encouraged by their discussions.

The latter said the Malatian community had legitimate complaints that should be addressed.

The envoys have ruled out sending peacekeepers, saying they wanted to see a quick return to constitutional government and the restoration of law and order.

The delegation - which includes representatives from Botswana and Malaysia - now plans to stay another day for further talks with political leaders and church figures who maintain relationships with the warring factions.

Situation 'peaceful'

A Solomon Islands radio journalist said the situation was peaceful on Saturday.

A statement signed by the MEF and the rival Isatabu Freedom Movement (IFM) said the ceasefire would hold for two weeks, until the end of the Commonwealth ministers' visit.

However, there were reports of Honiara residents fleeing the town as the Malaita Eagles militia roamed at will.

"Panic is probably an understatement, there is complete lawlessness, except so far no one has been hurt," Minister of State Alfred Sasako told the Reuters news agency.

"There have been truckloads of people moving their personal effects to the wharf to leave. The town is almost empty, people are just moving out," Mr Sasako said.

Evacuations

Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders who wish to be evacuated have been boarding an Australian troop ship, HMAS Tobruk.



Meanwhile, HMAS Manoora, an Australian navy ship carrying 200 troops, three Black Hawk helicopters, six armoured personnel carriers and a 40-bed hospital with operating theatres, is now heading for the Solomons.

The amphibious landing ship left Australia on Thursday night and is expected in Honiara by Sunday night.

A navy spokesman said the ship would assist in evacuations.

Fierce fighting erupted between the rival militias on Wednesday, much of it concentrated around Honiara international airport.

Roots of conflict

The Isatabu, from the main island of Guadalcanal, are resentful of migration to their island by Malaitans, who have taken top jobs in Honiara.

The MEF and the IFM have been fighting for 18 months over land rights.

The conflict has left at least 55 people dead and driven 20,000 Malaitans from their homes.

A vote of no-confidence against the prime minister will be held at a special parliamentary meeting in Honiara next Thursday.

Mr Downer said there had been considerable behind-the-scenes efforts to broker a peace deal.

He said Australian and New Zealand officials had been working hard to bring the different factions together and "they've had a modicum of success".

Many expatriates in Honiara said it was still comparatively safe and the risks did not justify a hasty departure.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

09 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Ceasefire in Solomon Islands
07 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Kinnock escapes hail of bullets
08 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Australia begins Solomons rescue
07 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Ethnic tension behind Solomons coup
06 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Commonwealth threatens Solomons
05 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Coup in Solomon Islands
05 Jun 00 | Asia-Pacific
Analysis: Pacific unrest linked?
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories