BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 9 June, 2000, 19:33 GMT 20:33 UK
Child shot at Lebanon border
Israel-Lebanon border
The border has seen several confrontations in the last month
A six-year-old Palestinian boy was wounded when Israeli troops fired at a crowd gathered at the Lebanon-Israel border.

The border has only been accessible since Israel ended its 22-year occupation of southern Lebanon last month, and there have been a number of confrontations since then.

The child's father, Abdullah Tahbish, said some youths had begun throwing stones over the border fence at an Israeli military position known as Fatima Gate.



We had been told that the Israelis fired from time to time but only in the air

Injured boy's father
He said had heard a shot and seen his son Bilal 's shoulder covered in blood.

The family, who live at Ain al-Hilwa refugee camp near Sidon, had gone to the border, which has become a popular destination for sightseeing.

Deep wound

"We had been told that the Israelis fired from time to time but only in the air," said Abdullah Tahbish said.


Demonstration for return of seven border villages annexed in 1948
Lebanese have demonstrated for the return of border villages
Dr Walid Ramadan, who operated on the boy at a hospital near Marjayoun, told AFP that the bullet had gone through Bilal's shoulder but had missed bones and arteries.

"Nevertheless it was a deep wound and the child was operated on under general anaesthetic," the doctor said.

Witnesses said members of Hezbollah, which controls the Lebanese side of the border, came and stopped the crowd from throwing stones.

At another point on the border, more than 7,000 Lebanese citizens from families who had fled seven villages annexed by Israel in 1948 staged a demonstration to call for a return of their land.

On 28 May four people were wounded when Israeli troops opened fire on stone-throwers at the same spot.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

06 Jun 00 | Middle East
Israel criticised over civilian deaths
05 Jun 00 | Middle East
Germany offers asylum to SLA
02 Jun 00 | Middle East
More homes for Golan settlers
26 May 00 | Middle East
Analysis: Lebanon's fragile peace
23 May 00 | Middle East
Q & A: Leaving Lebanon
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories