BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


Nick Higham reports for BBC News
"Ian Jones stood to make literally millions of pounds"
 real 28k

The BBC's Jennie Bond
"She jumped before she was pushed"
 real 28k

Friday, 9 June, 2000, 21:52 GMT 22:52 UK
Prince's press secretary quits
Sandy Henney
Sandy Henney: Accused of breaking a media agreement
The Prince of Wales's press secretary has resigned in a row over who owns the valuable copyright to pictures of Prince William.

Sandy Henney, who had been in the job for seven years, tendered her resignation which was accepted by Prince Charles "with deep regret".

She was accused of breaking an agreement with the Daily Telegraph after releasing photographs to other national newspapers.



We see this as an acceptance by the Prince of Wales's office that they did behave unprofessionally

Daily Telegraph editor, Charles Moore
The Telegraph's royal photographer Ian Jones, who was given special access to William by St James's Palace, claimed the valuable copyright belonged to him, much to the annoyance of the Palace.

On Friday night - in what commentators have termed an "honourable move" - Mr Jones agreed to transfer the copyright of the photographs according to the directions of the Prince of Wales.

But the Telegraph's editor Charles Moore accused the palace of acting "unprofessionally" over the affair.

Mr Jones, who - it is thought - could have made a million pounds from the pictures, acted "in good faith", said Mr Moore.

Telegraph access

The photographer was given access to Prince William to take pictures marking his 18th birthday on 21 June. The photos were to be released to all national newspapers.

william
The photos of William were taken at Eton
But the Daily Telegraph claimed it had been given the right to publish the pictures before its rivals.

Two other newspaper groups also demanded the photos up front and the Daily Telegraph said Miss Henney had broken their agreement.

Earlier on Friday, the Prince of Wales appealed to the newspaper and Mr Jones to donate proceeds from the pictures, which could amount to many thousands of pounds, to charity.

The statement said: "The Prince of Wales hopes that, in the light of the clear and consistent policy, no-one should profit from pictures, either of Prince William or Prince Harry, and that those who do own the copyright will make clear that all proceeds will go to charity.

Ian Jones
Ian Jones did the honourable thing
"To do otherwise would be to undermine the work the palace, the press and the Press Complaints Commission have all vested in the protection of Prince William and Prince Harry's privacy."

Mr Moore said: "While I am personally sorry that Sandy Henney has resigned, we see this as an acceptance by the Prince of Wales's office that they did behave unprofessionally towards the Telegraph.

"Our concern throughout has been that agreements made with our Royal photographer Ian Jones should be honoured and we were dismayed that this did not happen."

Charles moore
Charles Moore was appalled at the photographer's treatment
It is understood Mr Jones was chosen by Miss Henney to take the pictures because he was considered most likely to get on well with the teenage Prince.

Miss Henney, who is married to the former head of Scotland Yard's Royalty Protection branch, has worked in press relations for more than 20 years.

She had a straight-forward, no-nonsense approach and achieved a close working relationship with the Prince of Wales and his two sons.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories