BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Mark Devenport at the UN in New York
"Mr Annan acknowledges that the overall security situation remains fragile"
 real 28k

George Robertson, Nato Secretary General
"I deplore the violence against Serbs"
 real 28k

Friday, 9 June, 2000, 14:33 GMT 15:33 UK
Kosovo revenge attacks condemned
Gracanica burned out
Violence earlier this week in Gracanica highlighted the shaky security situation
The UN refugee agency has condemned the ethnic Albanian treatment of Serbs in Kosovo - a year after peacekeepers moved in.

A spokesman in Geneva said the oppressed had become the oppressors in a cycle of violence and revenge.

The remarks came as a report by the UNHCR and the OSCE (the Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe) highlighted the suffering of minorities in Kosovo.



Killings, kidnappings, bombings, beatings, arson attacks, and other abuses continue unabated

UN spokesman Ron Redmond
The UN refugee agency says the biggest failure in Kosovo has been the inability to stop the spiral of violence against minorities. Over the past year, tens of thousands have been driven from their homes by ethnic Albanians committed to revenge.

UN refugee spokesman Ron Redmond said: "Each departure has further eroded hopes for at least a semblance of multi-ethnicity and tolerance.

"Killings, kidnappings, bombings, beatings, arson attacks, and other abuses continue unabated."

A report by the UNHCR and the OSCE says the violence has been exacerbated by the continued shortfall of UN police, and a lack of a functioning and impartial judicial system.

Albanian in hospital
Ethnically-motivated attacks continue to put people in hospital
But it also highlights the everyday discrimination against minority groups. In some areas Serbs and Roma are trapped in their homes, unable to venture out without a heavily-armed escort.

Many Serb children are taken to school under military guard, while Serbs are often excluded from the health care services and have to go to Serbia for treatment.

The report says the UN mission in Kosovo will be judged on its success in upholding minority rights and ensuring their security.

The UN special representative Bernard Kouchner is due to brief the security council on Friday.

He has arranged for a party of moderate Serbs from Kosovo to present their story.

UN chief Kofi Annan has also joined the condemnation of anti-Serb violence in the province.

Burned out van
Despite advances, the UN still has much to do to make Kosovo safe
He said the international community had not intervened in the province to make it a haven for revenge and crime.

His views were echoed by the US special envoy to the Balkans, James O'Brien, who described the killing of eight Serbs in the past week alone as "systematic".

"We believe that those responsible should be brought to justice as soon as possible," he said.

But Mr Annan said much in Kosovo had changed for the better in the year since the security council authorised the Nato-led peacekeeping force to move in.

He cited the return of more than 800,000 refugees, the reconstruction of homes and an economy which shows signs of a vibrant recovery.

Thousands missing

Kosovo Albanian leaders Ibrahim Rugova and Hashim Thaci have pledged to work to counter the bloodshed.

"Acts of violence... especially those targeting the Serb community, are extremely disturbing," said Mr Rugova, the leading Kosovo Albanian moderate.

Less than half of the approximately 200,000 Serbs living in Kosovo two years ago remain.

Moderate Serbs ended their participation in the UN-supervised interim Kosovo government last Sunday to protest against the most recent wave of anti-Serb attacks.

The International Red Cross has published a list of more than 3,300 people it says are still missing as a result of the conflict in Kosovo.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE

Kosovo: One year on
Click here for in-depth coverage and latest news
Key stories:
Nato's incomplete victory
The view from Kosovo
Serbs fear new war
Nato strikes: The untold story
An Uneasy Peace
Talking Point
Is the West losing the peace?
Is Nato guilty of war crimes?
See also:

09 Jun 00 | Europe
Analysis: Serbs under fire
07 Jun 00 | Europe
3,000 missing in Kosovo
28 Feb 00 | Europe
Kosovo: What happened to peace?
16 Mar 00 | Europe
Kosovo one year on
07 Jun 00 | UK Politics
Kosovo campaign 'illegal', say MPs
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories