BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Health
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Background Briefings 
Medical notes 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Friday, 9 June, 2000, 14:06 GMT 15:06 UK
Surgeons accused over private work
King George's Hospital, Ilford
King George's Hospital denies the allegations
Surgeons have been accused of operating on hundreds of private patients in NHS time.

The accusation is made in an anonymous letter apparently sent to the health secretary by junior healthworkers at King George's Hospital in Ilford, Essex.

It says surgeon's private work has sometimes led to cancellation of NHS operations.



This is deplorable, as it is both unethical and blatantly fraudulent

Letter to the health secretary

The letter, leaked to the Evening Standard newspaper, claims: "These doctors are abusing their positions. They are accepting an NHS salary and are at the same time being paid to carry out private treatment.

"This is deplorable, as it is both unethical and blatantly fraudulent."

The letter goes on: "They may leave their lists in order to pursue their private practice and leave their junior staff to complete the NHS work.

"Several of the junior staff have complained that they have been left with inadequate supervision."



Private patients have never taken the place of NHS

King George's Hospital, Ilford

King George's Hospital has strongly refuted all the claims and denies any fraud.

It issued a statement which said: "Private patients have never taken the place of NHS. Last year the hospital exceeded its NHS surgery targets and the waiting list there was reduced by over 1000."

The allegation follows a survey of NHS trust chief executives by the Consumers Association which found that consultants' private work was adding to the length of NHS waiting lists.

The Consumers Association says that consultants' contracts should be radically overhauled to address this potential conflict of interest.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

05 Jun 00 | Health
Health service priorities set
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Health stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Health stories