| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 9 June, 2000, 15:51 GMT 16:51 UK
Businessman flees after loyalist threats
![]() UDA - linked to 'gangsterism' in north Belfast
A Catholic businessman has been forced to leave Northern Ireland after threats against him because he gave evidence against loyalist paramilitaries.
Belfast city councillor Tom Campbell told BBC Radio Ulster that the man left immediately after the conviction of three men charged with trying to extort money from him. Mr Campbell, who represents the cross-community Alliance Party, said the businessman closed up his shop in north Belfast and is now under police protection outside Northern Ireland after the threats. "He gave evidence against three UDA [Ulster Defence Association] persons who were convicted of extortion. "My understanding from the police is that this man left the country in fear of his life." Mr Campbell has called on newly elected Belfast deputy mayor Frank McCoubrey, who is a member of the Ulster Democratic Party which has links with the UDA, to distance himself from the actions of the paramilitary group. Mr Campbell said "gangsterism" was threatening the commercial life in north Belfast. 'Threats from thugs' "I have been aware for some time of threats of this kind to other businesses and I understand they may not remain in the area. "Really what we have is a gang of thugs and gangsters going around intimidating people." He added that Mr McCoubrey had been elected as deputy mayor by unionist councillors, who claimed they could not vote for Sinn Fein, due to the party's links with the IRA. "It's acceptable to vote for Protestant candidates, whoever they maybe, but not acceptable to vote for republican candidates," he said. "The deputy lord mayor and lord mayor have a responsibility to represent all the people of this city - that's the point which unionists were saying to me unionists could not do." However, Mr McCoubrey said it was unfair of Mr Campbell to target him in his first week of office as deputy mayor. Security matters He said he was not a member of any paramilitary organisation and was trying to work for people in both communities. He added that he was not aware of the case. The Royal Ulster Constabulary said it did not comment on "individual security matters". It added in a statement: "The RUC is committed to providing a service to the community and as such we will endeavour to put a stop to the extortion and blackmail of the community by any organisation or individual. "We need the help of the community. Many people have already come forward and we would appeal for others to come forward in an effort to stamp out this cancer in our society. " |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|