| You are in: UK: Scotland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 9 June, 2000, 08:08 GMT 09:08 UK
New calls for rape law re-think
![]() John Anderson has conducted how own defence twice
Demand is increasing for people accused of rape in Scotland to be prevented from questioning their alleged victims during trials.
The debate has intensified after father-of-four John Anderson, 48, walked free from the High Court in Perth, after a case in which he conducted his own defence and quizzed two alleged victims. A jury found him not guilty of raping a woman and decided that the charge of raping her 13-year-old daughter was not proven. It later emerged that the former building site security guard successfully defended himself in March last year on charges of raping three women.
During that trial at the High Court in Glasgow, Anderson also questioned his alleged victims.
He said he believed the law should be changed, but that he had not felt bad about cross-examining the girl and her mother because he knew them well. "It was not as if they were strangers to me, and I didn't go into any details of anything sexual or anything like that. "I think if I had counsel or had access to counsel it would have been a lot easier all round." 'Suicide attempt' The girl's father said: "My daughter has tried to commit suicide just a week ago and was brought to court from hospital. "She has told the truth from the start and I just don't know what effect this is going to have on her in the long term.
"I want to get the law changed so nobody else can get to question their victim like that. The law is an ass for letting him do that."
Before the Anderson case in Perth, Deputy Justice Minister, Angus MacKay, instructed the Scottish Executive's lawyers to find a way of preventing the cross-examination of rape victims by their alleged attacker. Legal experts and human rights campaigners have warned that any change would have to take human rights legislation into account. Committee debate However, women's groups said the pressure for change was greater than ever and they have been pushing the Scottish Parliament's justice committee to come up with a solution. Earlier this week, the justice committee heard evidence on the issue. The convener, Roseanna Cunningham MSP, said the case highlighted the difficulties involved in changing the law. She also pointed out that there was a wider issue of how difficult it was to secure a conviction in rape cases - most end in acquittal. Gordon Jackson, a leading QC who is also a Labour MSP and a member of the justice committee, has said he is against a blanket ban on cross-examination by the accused. He said that video links could provide a solution. Victim Support Scotland spokeswoman Alison Paterson said the current system only prolonged the agony for rape victims.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|