| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 9 June, 2000, 05:54 GMT 06:54 UK
Ceasefire in Solomon Islands
![]() The ceasefire will allow negotiators to fly in
Warring factions in the Solomon Islands have agreed a ceasefire which will allow Commonwealth foreign ministers to visit the country.
The capital Honiara is reported to be quiet, as an Australian Navy ship continues to evacuate foreign nationals. A statement signed by the Malaita Eagle Force (MEF) and the rival Isatabu Freedom Movement (IFM) said the ceasefire would last until the end of the Commonwealth ministers' visit. A joint statement asked "the general public to refrain from committing any acts which may jeopardise the security of this important visit". The Commonwealth delegation, which will include the
Australian and New Zealand foreign ministers, is expected to
arrive in Honiara on Saturday.
Honiara airport has been closed since Monday after fierce jungle fighting around its perimeter. Local journalists said that it was thought the ceasefire would last two weeks, but there had been problems in the past with both sides not strictly adhering to their undertakings. Quiet Prime Minister Bartholomew Ulufa'alu has
been held at gunpoint since Monday, when the MEF took control of Honiara.
On Wednesday, fighting broke out between the two militias but has since died down. "It's quiet," said Johnson Honimae of Solomon Islands Broadcasting on Friday. "The banks are open. It was government pay day yesterday and the queues are long today." A vote of no-confidence against the prime minister will be held at a special parliamentary meeting in Honiara next Thursday. The Isatabu, from the main island of Guadalcanal, are resentful of migration to their island by Malaitans, who have taken top jobs in Honiara. The MEF and the IFM have been fighting for 18 months over land rights. The conflict has left at least 55 people dead and driven 20,000 Malaitans from their homes. The MEF claims indigenous rights to land including Honiara, settled by Malaitan immigrants during World War II.
Evacuation
Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders who wish to be evacuated are continuing to embark on the HMAS Tobruk.
Some boarded on Thursday and spent the night on board. More than 400 have already embarked, and it is estimated that between 800 and 1,000 will leave on the boat. Australian Commodore Brian Robertson said there was no deadline for the ship to leave. "Tobruk is able to stay in the area for a week if need be," he said. "We anticipate that she could even house and feed a large number of people for 10 days." Many expatriates in Honiara said it was still comparatively safe and the risks did not justify a hasty departure. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|