| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 8 June, 2000, 17:55 GMT 18:55 UK
Greek pledge to hunt diplomat killers
![]() Greece is under pressure to clamp down on terrorism
The Greek Government has pledged to do everything in its power to catch the killers of a British defence attache who was gunned down in the capital, Athens.
Greek police say they are almost certain that the guerrilla group November 17 was behind the killing, after ballistics experts linked the .45 pistol used in the attack to previous killings by the group. The news has prompted renewed calls for Greece to implement more effective anti-terrorist measures.
The .45 pistol used to kill Brigadier Saunders is first known to have been used in the 1980 assassination of the deputy head of the Greek riot police, Pandelis Petrou, and his driver Sotiris Stamoulis. It subsequently appeared in attacks on Greek and foreign officials in 1984, 1988 and 1992. Motorcycle assassins The November 17 group, which is opposed to Greece's links to the West, targets Greek public figures and Western diplomats and businessmen.
The military attache staggered from his car before collapsing on the pavement in the suburb of Halandri.
The attack has drawn fresh attention to Greece's lacklustre record on combating terrorist activity. "This highlights again that Greece needs to take a tougher stance against terrorism, and we have made that point repeatedly with the government of Greece," US Defence Department spokesman Ken Bacon said. A Nato diplomat told Reuters that Athens was considered a "danger post" for Western envoys. Reuters also quoted a British diplomat as saying London was concerned that "terrorist organisations can carry out such acts in Greece and have done so in the past". Police have failed to arrest a single member of November 17 in the group's 25-year history. 'Weak link' A report last week by a US congressional commission proposed sanctions against Greece and Pakistan for "not co-operating fully" in efforts to stamp out terrorism.
Foreign Minister George Papandreou - whose government has so far rejected the US criticism - said it was not clear whether the attack on Mr Saunders was linked to the threat of sanctions from Washington. But Mr Papandreou promised "to do everything possible to bring the perpetrators to justice". "We will not let the international image of our country be plagued," he said. Olympic fears Athens is likely to come under particular pressure to step up anti-terrorism measures before the 2004 Olympics, which are due to be hosted at a site not far from where Mr Saunders was shot. UK Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said he would urge the Greek Government to bring the defence attache's killers to justice. UK Prime Minister Tony Blair condemned the murder of a man he described as a "consummate professional". "It was an act of terrorism, it was contemptible as it was senseless, and will be condemned by all right minded people," Mr Blair said. A spokesman for the European Commission described the attack as "abhorrent". "Any attack on a diplomatic or defence official like that is an attack on democracy, which is a fundamental value on which the European Union is built," the spokesman said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|