BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 8 June, 2000, 13:16 GMT 14:16 UK
Wahid masseur cash recovered
President Wahid and family
President Wahid: Could be interviewed by police
Indonesian police have recovered most of the $4.1m allegedly stolen by President Abdurrahman Wahid's masseur.

Investigators said they had got back about $3.5m of the money, including more than $1m from the masseur's wife who was interrogated by police this week.

The masseur, Mr Suwondo, allegedly obtained the funds after pretending his request came from the president himself.

Detectives believe he has since fled abroad, possibly to Laos or Thailand.

The money was taken from the State Logistics Agency (Bulog) which regulates the distribution and prices of basic commodities.

Wife

Mr Suwondo's wife, Teti Nursetiati, returned some 10bn rupiah (nearly $1.2m) on Tuesday.

Police chief General Rusdiharjo did not say where they had recovered the other 20bn rupiah from.

But the Jakarta Post said it comprised 5bn rupiah which went to a bank account of a businesswoman based in central Java, and 15bn rupiah, which went to an account of an official of the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle.

Mr Wahid, who is currently on a two-week overseas trip, has denied any wrongdoing. He said Mr Suwondo acted alone without his knowledge.

Former deputy Bulog chief, Mr Sapuan, was sacked after admitting he authorised disbursement of the money to the masseur.

He has said he handed over the money to Mr Suwondo after talking to Mr Wahid, and was under the impression it was for him to use for humanitarian relief projects in the northern province of Aceh.

Uproar

The scandal has sparked an uproar in Indonesia, with the media alleging Mr Wahid's inner circle of friends and relatives may have played a role.

Media Indonesia newspaper on Thursday quoted national police detective chief Alex Bambang Riatmojo saying police could still summon Mr Wahid and top presidential palace officials for questioning.

But he said that no evidence had been found of their involvement so far.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

30 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesia masseur scandal spreads
25 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Wahid's masseur 'flees with $4.2m'
22 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Wahid's brother quits top job
19 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Suharto trial 'imminent'
27 Apr 00 | Asia-Pacific
Indonesian president under scrutiny
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories