| You are in: World: Africa | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 8 June, 2000, 05:21 GMT 06:21 UK
Cook pledges Sierra Leone support
![]() British Marines will pull out next week
Foreign Secretary Robin Cook is holding talks in Sierra Leone to try to ease fears of a new surge in violence after British troops pull out.
Mr Cook is in the capital Freetown to meet President Ahmad Tejan Kabbah and other officials, including pro-government militia leaders Johnny Paul Koroma and Chief Hinga Norman. They are expected to ask Mr Cook to keep a robust British army presence in the troubled region.
Serious clashes are continuing in parts of the country and gunfire was reported near Mr Koroma's house in Freetown on Wednesday evening.
For his part, Mr Cook will be seeking renewed guarantees that British weapons will not fall into the hands of child soldiers, and that President Kabbah's order for all under-18s in his army to disarm is being obeyed. British Royal Marine commandos are due to withdraw next week, leaving 180 soldiers of the Royal Anglian Regiment behind to carry out an intensive training programme for 1,000 Sierra Leone Army recruits. 'Long haul' The foreign secretary said Britain's strategy was now three-fold: "To repel the rebels, to restart the peace process and to rebuild Sierra Leone." He went on: "I will be seeking partnership with Sierra Leone to work together on that strategy. "We have got to set in for a long haul and my repeated message is that Britain is committed to going the distance with the people and government of Sierra Leone in going that long haul." Mr Cook stressed he was talking of a long-term commitment to rebuilding the country, not prolonged British military intervention. He said he would also press for rebel leader Foday Sankoh, currently under arrest, to be "brought to justice" in Sierra Leone. Mr Cook also plans to discuss with President Kabbah the planned international embargo on diamond sales from rebel-held areas. The UK is leading a move to secure a UN resolution banning the sale of all gems except those through Freetown under the President's control. The Foreign Secretary will also visit child amputee victims of rebel forces who overran Freetown last year and a camp to rehabilitate former child soldiers. Strategic victory On Wednesday, Sierra Leone Government forces retook control of the strategic town of Lunsar, a military spokesman said. Troops loyal to President Kabbah had seized the town on 29 May, but withdrew two days later when they ran out of ammunition in the face of a sustained rebel attack. Lunsar is the first rebel town to fall to the government. It is on the road to the rebel stronghold of Makeni and the diamond fields further east.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|