| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Thursday, 8 June, 2000, 21:59 GMT 22:59 UK
Ahern calls for Hamill inquiry
![]() Ahern made call after meeting Hamill family
The Irish prime minister has called for an independent judicial inquiry into the murder of a Catholic man to be carried out urgently.
Bertie Ahern was speaking after meeting relatives of Robert Hamill who died after being kicked and beaten by a loyalist gang in his home town of Portadown in County Armagh three years ago. His family have said a nearby RUC patrol did nothing to intervene in the unprovoked attack in Portadown town centre on 27 April 1997. Diane Hamill said they had a good meeting with the Taoiseach and were very glad he had taken the step to call for an inquiry.
"We have provided him with some new information we have and as you can see from the statement he is quite concerned about the new details. "He feels the British government should be compelled to give us an inquiry," she said. She said that her family felt let down by Northern Ireland's judicial system, following a coroner's ruling on Wednesday that there would be no inquest into her brother's killing because witness' lives would be in danger. "For three years we have struggled with the justice system in the north of Ireland. We have got absolutely no-where. My brother was viciously kicked to death within 20 yards of four armed RUC officers. "Someone has to be held accountable for his murder. Any right thinking person can see that the only way forward for us is through an inquiry," she said. The statement from Greater Belfast Coroner John Leckey on Wednesday said he had regrettably decided not to hold an inquest due to concerns for the safety of certain witnesses. It is understood these were civilians. 'Disturbing circumstances' "He is satisfied their lives would be placed in danger if their evidence were to be given at, or placed in documentary form before an inquest," his statement said. "The circumstances surrounding Mr Hamill's death are profoundly disturbing and but for the consideration mentioned would undoubtedly require that an inquest should be held," it added. Murder charges against one man, Paul Rodney Marc Hobson, were dropped in March last year but he was sentenced to four years for his part in causing a public affray. Charges against five others were withdrawn due to lack of evidence. Police investigated claims that RUC officers failed to intervene at the scene of the attack but the Director of Public Prosecutions found there were no grounds for a case against any officer. The coroner's statement added that the Hamill family's solicitor had agreed that no useful public purpose would be served by an inquest. A statement from the Northern Ireland Office said that Northern Ireland secretary Peter Mandelson was "concerned at the news" and had asked for "all the facts to be made available to him."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|