BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: Sport: Cricket
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 7 June, 2000, 21:17 GMT 22:17 UK
Symcox in new Cronje revelation
Hansie Cronje
Hansie Cronje: Yet to give evidence
Former South African Test spinner Pat Symcox has alleged that the team were offered around $250,000 (£150,000) to lose a one-day game, on the first day of the King Commission hearings in Cape Town.

Symcox, who retired from first class cricket last year, said in his statement that Cronje approached him to discuss the offer.

"Hansie called me to his room before the Mandela Trophy game against Pakistan in Cape Town in the 1994-95 series and asked me what I thought about an offer he had received to lose the game.

"I told him I thought it was a bad idea. My advice was not to worry about it and just get on with the game."


Daryl Cullinan
Daryl Cullinan: Will testify on Thursday
But Symcox admitted that some members of the South African side were in favour of taking the money, although they went on to win the match by 37 runs.

Court

Cronje's father Ewie was in court for the first day of an inquiry which could last a number of months.

It is not yet known when the former captain, who has claimed he was being led by Satan when accepting money from an Indian bookmaker, will be called to give evidence.

England skipper Nasser Hussain has not yet been asked to give his version of the events which led to both sides forfeiting an innings during the fifth Test at Centurion Park during the winter, although government officials have the right to do so if required.

Daryl Cullinan and Derek Crookes will testify on Thursday but it was Symcox who was giving the evidence.

Offer

He recalled a previously-reported offer made to the team in Mumbai, India, in 1996 and then revealed a third approach, which he said was by a foreign player, a current international player he described as `Mr X', during the 1996 tour which he said had been made to him personally.

Symcox said: "The team was unhappy about the match having official one-day international status.

"It was at the end of a very tough tour and everyone wanted to go home. Hansie called a meeting in his room. It was just the players, no management were involved. He said an offer had been received to lose the game."

Symcox added that although team members had actually discussed with Cronje the possibility of throwing the match, they decided against it despite being offered the bribes.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

07 Jun 00 | Cricket
Cronje inquiry goes public
10 Apr 00 | Cricket
SA demand 'Cronje tapes'
02 Jun 00 | Cricket
Cronje blames Satan
06 Jun 00 | Cricket
Woolmer backs Cronje recall