BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 7 June, 2000, 12:24 GMT 13:24 UK
Burundi deal 'paves way' for peace
Hutu refugees
Hutu refugees were told the camps were for their own protection
Former South African President Nelson Mandela and President Pierre Buyoya of Burundi have announced an agreement on two key conditions to end a civil war that has killed more than 200,000 people in Burundi.

They said after Johannesburg talks that Burundi's Tutsi-dominated army would be restructured to include an equal representation of the country's Hutu majority.

"We agreed with President Buyoya on the integration issue - that there would 50% Tutsi and 50% Hutu in the army," said Mr Mandela, who was named mediator in the Burundi conflict late last year.

"We also agreed that all Hutus in regroupment camps will be released by 31 July," he said.

Hundreds of thousands of Hutus have been forced into these camps, which the government claimed was for their protection from Hutu rebels.

The camps were described by Mr Mandela recently as "concentration camps".

Controversial camps

The United Nations and European Union have also criticised the camps and aid officials have described them as ill-conceived and dangerous, with risks to health.


President Buyoya
President Buyoya: Seized power in bloodless coup

Mr Mandela is hoping to convene the first all-party talks at Arusha in Tanzania next month.

Last month he held closed-door talks with armed groups and representatives of the Burundi Government.

The Burundian Government has said it wants to hold face-to-face talks with the main rebel factions, but insists that there must be a ceasefire before any meaningful political settlement can be reached.

War broke out in the small central African country in 1993, and several rebel Hutu factions are pitted against the Tutsi-dominated government and army.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

27 Mar 00 | Africa
Burundi's deadly deadlock
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories