BBC News Online BBC World Service BBC Homepage
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport - Euro 2000
 You are in:  Euro2000: Teams: England
Front Page 
Results/Fixtures 
Teams 
Belgium 
Czech Rep 
Denmark 
England 
France 
Germany 
Holland 
Italy 
Norway 
Portugal 
Romania 
Slovenia 
Spain 
Sweden 
Turkey 
Yugoslavia 
Fans Guide 
Sportstalk 
AudioVideo 
The BBC Team 
Photo Gallery 
Wednesday, 7 June, 2000, 10:40 GMT 11:40 UK
Barmby contract put on hold
Nick Barmby could figure in England's Euro 2000 opener
Nick Barmby could figure in England's Euro 2000 opener
The resurgence of Nick Barmby's England career could cost Everton dear, as they try and negotiate a new contract with him.

Barmby, who could figure in England's Euro 2000 opener against Portugal on Monday, has one year of his current contract left and has been having talks with the club for several weeks about extending it.

But it appears although the club were prepared to agree to the player's original demands, his inclusion in the Euro 2000 squad has upped his asking price.

Everton chief executive Mike Dunford said: "I suppose you could say that Nick's England recall has complicated the issue."

Nick has a lot to think about at the moment with England and his own career, and it's best that the discussions do not get in the way of all that

Everton chief executive Mike Dunford

But Dunford is still confident that they will be able to strike a deal with the 26-year-old, saying: "It's fair to say that Nick has rejected our original offer, but it is all still very amicable and we still hope to conclude an agreement when he returns from Euro 2000."

Dunford added: "It has been decided by both parties to put everything on the back burner for now.

"Nick has a lot to think about at the moment with England and his own career, and it's best that the discussions do not get in the way of all that."

Barmby is believed to have been offered around £25,000 a week, which would put him on a par with the club's top earners.

However, his increased profile as a member of England's final 22 for the European Championships, has seemingly put a higher price on his head.

Everton now find themselves in difficult negotiations with two of their most influential players, Scottish star Don Hutchison having rejected the club's final offer on a new deal.
Everton's Don Hutchison has rejected the club's offer
Don Hutchison has rejected the club's offer

He, too, has one year left to run and has been constantly linked with a string of clubs in recent months.

Both Barmby and Hutchison can walk away on Bosman transfers next summer, and sign pre-agreements with any foreign clubs from 1 January.

Hutchison's agent Rachel Anderson said: "We have heard nothing more from Everton for some while, and I know of no offer for Don."

However, she confirmed that she is aware of interest from Celta Vigo in Spain and Inter Milan in Italy.

She said: "Both clubs have made their interest known, Vigo a couple of weeks ago and Inter watched Don several times last season."

Anderson also admitted that the Gateshead-born midfielder is learning both Spanish and Italian at the moment.

Lack of funds

She added: "You have to be prepared, whatever he does, and we both still want him to stay at Everton. There's no point in even considering a move abroad without making a serious attempt at learning the languages."

The problem for Everton in both cases is lack of funds. Despite new owner Bill Kenwright's takeover, cash is still extremely limited at Goodison Park. But that could change soon with the expected announcement of a link-up with a major media group.

Everton is one of the few clubs who are not so far tied to a link with either Sky or one of the other TV or cable companies.

But negotiations are at an advanced stage, with NTL believed to be in pole position. When such a partnership is concluded, it will free up money to meet contract demands and give boss Walter Smith transfer market muscle.

Dunford said: "Talks are at an advanced stage and we would expect to be able to announce a deal before the new season starts."

Search BBC Euro 2000

 

England
Stats for England

Star players

Manager



See also:

16 May 00 | England
England squad named
04 Jun 00 | England
Barmby lifts England gloom
07 Jun 00 | Euro2000
Belgian authorities back Charleroi
06 Jun 00 | England
Keegan sure of starting line-up
^^ Back to top
Front Page | Results/Fixtures | Group A | Group B | Group C | Group D | Knockout | Teams | Sportstalk | Fans' Guide | AudioVideo | Photo Gallery