| You are in: World: Europe | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 7 June, 2000, 05:48 GMT 06:48 UK
NATO rejects war crimes charge
NATO has rejected an allegation by the human rights organistation, Amnesty International, that it committed war crimes during last year's bombing campaign against Yugoslavia. A NATO spokesman Jamie Shea told the BBC that all targets had been carefully chosen in consultation with experts on international law. He said some sites hadn't been attacked because there was more than a ten per cent chance that civilians might be killed. But the Amnesty report said NATO forces failed to take precautions to minimise civilian casualties, in violation of the rules of war. It singled out the bombing of the Serbian state television building in Belgrade. The report has been welcomed by Serbian officials. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|