| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 7 June, 2000, 12:58 GMT 13:58 UK
Anger at IRA link to shooting
![]() Ed McCoy was shot while drinking in a pub
Unionist politicians have reacted angrily to reports that security forces are linking the IRA to the murder of a man shot dead in a pub last month.
Senior security sources told the BBC on Tuesday that they were "very definite" that the IRA was involved in the shooting of Ed McCoy on 28 May, despite an official ceasefire.
Officials at the Northern Ireland Office dismissed the report. A spokesman said: "We understand the investigation is still at an early stage. The [police] still have an open mind on the case." Meanwhile on Wednesday, the Northern Ireland Secretary of State Peter Mandelson said if any evidence became available that the IRA was responsible for the death of a man in west Belfast last week, he would take the matter "very seriously". But Democratic Unionist Party minister Nigel Dodds called for Sinn Fein to be excluded from Northern Ireland's newly restored power-sharing executive. He asked whether the secretary of state and pro-agreement parties would "once again turn a blind eye to the murderous activities of the terrorists" because it was "politically expedient". "David Trimble's decision to buy into the IRA's terms at Hillsborough have been exposed as total folly. He trusted the IRA. The IRA has once again shown him up to be a complete sucker," he said. However, Sinn Fein senior negotiator Gerry Kelly said he had no reason to believe the IRA had broken its ceasefire. Speaking on Wednesday, Mr Kelly said: "The IRA has been involved in a ceasefire. "They have adhered to it and I have no knowledge there has been any change in that. "Anyone who is involved in anything which affects the peace we are working for is wrong." The deputy first minister and deputy SDLP leader Seamus Mallon has also commented on the reports that link the IRA to the murder. He said the full details of Mr McCoy's murder were not yet clear but the best way to ensure horrific crimes did not happen was to have a properly-run police service. Call for statement Meanwhile, Prominent anti-agreement Ulster Unionist MP Jeffrey Donaldson has called for the early release of IRA paramilitary prisoners to be halted following the revelation. "I am deeply sceptical that the government will do this," he said. Ulster Unionist Michael McGimpsey has called on Royal Ulster Constabulary Chief Constable Sir Ronnie Flanagan to state clearly who he thought was responsible for Mr McCoy's murder. "It is absolutely essential that the chief constable clarifies this matter without further delay," said Mr McGimpsey. "If the Provisional IRA were involved then clearly it raises serious questions about the status of their ceasefire." Mr McCoy, 28, was singled out in the Motte 'n' Bailey pub and was shot several times. Soon afterwards, security sources said the shooting was "drugs related" but for days they stressed that it was too soon to say which paramilitary group, if any, was behind the attack. IRA 'cover name' In the past, the IRA has carried out similar shootings under the cover name Direct Action Against Drugs. According to BBC NI chief security correspondent Brian Rowan, it is unlikely that the IRA will admit to carrying out the murder nor would it consider such a shooting to be in breach of the "complete cessation of military operations" it restored in July 1997 after a breakdown in its first ceasefire. As far as the IRA is concerned, that "cessation of military operations" covers attacks on the security forces, loyalists and so-called "economic targets". It is understood the police assessment linking the IRA to the shooting of Ed McCoy is based on intelligence information. There is also a suggestion coming from one security source that the IRA leadership has given clearance for attacks on alleged drug dealers. In recent statements the IRA has stressed the "silence of it guns". The Northern Ireland Office would not be drawn on the implications of the murder for its assessment of the IRA ceasefire.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|