| You are in: Sport: Motorsport | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 6 June, 2000, 17:37 GMT 18:37 UK
Schumacher injury doubt
![]() Ralf Schumacher in Monaco moments before he crashed
Ralf Schumacher may not race in next week's Canadian Grand Prix after being ordered to rest following his crash at Monaco last Sunday.
The German driver, who lives in Monaco, was told to take a few days break after a check-up at the Princess Grace Hospital in Monte Carlo.
Schumacher sustained a three-inch gash in his left calf after hitting a crash barrier at Sainte Devote corner. "I had a check-up at the Princess Grace hospital as we wanted to make sure that no debris or carbon fibre or metal were still in the wound," he said.
"Thank God this was not the case. Last night I slept quite well because the pain had decreased a bit, but I am still unable to put any weight on my leg."
He said that he had been advised to take complete rest for two to three days. "At present I am still not in a position to tell if I will be at the start of the Canadian Grand Prix. We are trying our best to speed up the recovery process," he added. The 24-year-old, brother of championship leader Michael Schumacher, was apparently unaware of his injury until he climbed out of his wrecked car. He will miss testing at Monza in Italy this week. Brazilian Bruno Junqueira - who missed the Williams berth in a drive-off with Jenson Button - will stand in for him and would be the most likely replacement if Schumacher is unable to drive next week.
|
See also:
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|