| You are in: UK: Northern Ireland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 6 June, 2000, 16:38 GMT 17:38 UK
Soya breast implants used in NI
![]() Women advised to have implants removed
Breast implants at the centre of a government warning have been used in Northern Ireland, according to the Department of Health in the province.
A spokeswoman confirmed that about 100 implants filled with soya bean oil have been fitted in the private sector in Northern Ireland. However, it is not known how many women this affects. On Tuesday, the UK Government warned women to have Trilucent breast implants removed as a precautionary measure.
Women were also advised not to plan a pregnancy or breast-feed until after the Trilucent implants had been removed and to use contraception until then. Almost 5,000 women were given the Trilucent implants - 75% for cosmetic reasons - before they were withdrawn from sale in March 1999 amid fears they could cause harm if they leaked. There had been reports of breast swelling and discomfort in a small number of women with these implants, the department said in a statement. It added there had been no clinical evidence of any more serious health problems and there was not enough data to be clear whether there was an increased risk of cancer or damage to an unborn baby, but the risks remained. New advice New data on the long-term safety of the oil-based implants suggested some genotoxic products created when the soya bean oil deteriorates may be harmful to women. The new advice from an independent advisory group set up by the Medical Devices Agency recommended that women consult their GP or plastic surgeon to discuss the removal of the implants, which were available between 1995 and March 1999. Dr Henrietta Campbell, Chief Medical Officer said: "Although this is a major step for us to take, it is a precautionary one. "The latest scientific data shows that this type of implant could be harmful, but, as yet, there is no evidence of actual harm to women." An estimated 8,000 women a year have breast implants and about 5,000 women are believed to have been given soya oil implants, which were originally promoted as a safer alternative to older silicone versions. Prior to them being withdrawn, 74 women reported "adverse" reactions, including swelling and leakage of the implants. In a very small number of cases, the implants have become rancid, and can be smelled. Where complications have arisen, the implants have been removed with no apparent long-term impact on health.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Northern Ireland stories now:
Links to more Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Northern Ireland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|