Page last updated at 11:38 GMT, Monday, 8 September 2008 12:38 UK

US Afghan attack phone footage

US forces in Afghanistan are re-opening an investigation into an air attack in Herat province after new video evidence emerged suggesting scores of civilians died.

The video footage, possibly filmed on a mobile phone, is claimed to be of the aftermath of the attack, showing rows of dead bodies covered by blankets.

The US military had previously said that only about seven civilians died in the air raid, while the Afghan government and the UN said up to 90 people were killed.

SEE ALSO

Story Tools

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.

Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific