| You are in: Sport | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 22 May, 2000, 18:12 GMT 19:12 UK
England's 2006 bid boosted
![]() Sir Bobby addresses the Asian Football Federation
England's bid to host the 2006 World Cup has been boosted after the Oceania Football Confederation said it would vote for England.
There had been fears that violence at last Wednesday's Uefa Cup Final between Arsenal and Galatasaray may have wrecked England's hopes.
But Sir Bobby Charlton, who has been leading England's bid campaign, was told on Monday by Oceania vice-president Johnny
Tinsley-Lulu that the contingent's single vote would be going to England.
The English bid team have spent the last fortnight flying across the world in an attempt to press their claims above that of rivals Germany, South Africa, Morocco and Brazil. And on Monday they were in Samoa where they heard the good news. Indications were that three Concacaf votes were in the bag after the quality of their presentations in the Bahamas. However, the trouble which flared on the streets of Copenhagen before the Uefa Cup Final left some to fear their work had been in vain. Bleak warnings have been made should there be any repeat of the fighting during Euro 2000 and both England and Germany are acutely aware of the embarrassment which would be caused if either country's set of supporters went on the rampage. Enthusiastic Sir Bobby said: "It is very encouraging to know that we can count on the backing of everyone in the OFC. "Charles Dempsey (the OFC's New Zealand president) has been very enthusiastic about what we have been doing over the last three years and it is good to know we can depend on his support during the final days of the bidding process." Now there is just the Uefa congress to attend before Fifa reach their final decision in Zurich on 6 July. England's campaign director Alec McGivan will stop off in Paris on his way back from the South Sea Islands, to take the opportunity to chat with European delegates at the Champions' League Final between Real Madrid and Valencia at the Stade de France on Wednesday.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|