| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Monday, 22 May, 2000, 22:04 GMT 23:04 UK
Lebanon pullout in chaos
![]() Hezbollah fighters arrested "collaborators" of the SLA
The Israeli Prime Minister, Ehud Barak, has called an emergency meeting of his security cabinet to discuss the possibility of an early withdrawal from southern Lebanon as the pullout descends into chaos.
The meeting was called as Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas moved to within two miles of the common border - after cutting Israel's occupation zone in two. UN spokesman Timur Gokksel said the so-called security zone had been severed at its narrowest point, leaving large numbers of SLA fighters cut off from supply lines. Hezbollah took over 14 villages and several outposts abandoned by Israel's local allied militia, the South Lebanon Army (SLA). Bombardment An Israeli army spokesman admitted that SLA fighters had fled from as much as one-third of the zone they previously occupied. The guerrillas are being followed by streams of Lebanese civilians - many of them trying to return to homes they abandoned 20 years ago when the Israeli occupation began.
Israeli aircraft are continuing their bombardment of Hezbollah positions in an effort to keep the situation under control.
Meanwhile, UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan is recommending that the peacekeeping force in the region should be almost doubled to nearly 8,000 soldiers once Israel withdraws from its security zone. There are reports of the SLA opening fire on Lebanese civilians as they try to re-enter their abandoned villages, killing at least six people and wounding 20 others. Meeting There is speculation in Israel that Mr Barak may order Israeli forces to pull out of Lebanon as soon as 1 June. The Israeli prime minister has long promised to end what he frequently describes as the "tragedy" in Lebanon by 7 July - the first anniversary of his taking office.
Fights Israel is reported to be trying to defend a line within the occupied zone. Witnesses said two people had been killed when Israeli forces fired on hundreds of civilians marching to Meiss el-Jabal from nearby Houla, one of the villages taken by Hezbollah. Three were wounded in the village of Beit Yahoun. Visiting the border town of Zarit, Mr Barak warned that severe reprisals would follow any attacks launched at Israeli soldiers or civilians when the full troop pullout does take place. Joyful reunions Southern Lebanon has seen emotional scenes in recent days, as Lebanese civilians pour into villages abandoned by the SLA after more than 22 years.
On Monday, Hezbollah fighters and hundreds of civilians entered Houla and other nearby villages, just two kilometres (1.2 miles) north of Israel. There are reports that some militiamen's families, fearing retribution after collaboration with Israel, are gathering on the Israeli border, seeking asylum. The Hezbollah arrested a number of alleged SLA "collaborators" on arrival in Houla, who it says failed to surrender. Posts abandoned The SLA has been steadily pulling out of strategic hilltop villages in advance of Israel's planned complete withdrawal from southern Lebanon.
Hezbollah kept up the pressure, shelling an Israeli early-warning station on the Golan Heights. Israeli jets launched two air raids in the eastern sector of occupied south Lebanon after the attack. And Israeli naval vessels have fired on suspected Hezbollah targets. Residents of northern Israel have been ordered back into bomb shelters amid rising fears the guerrillas will fire Katyusha rockets over the border.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|