BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK Politics
Front Page 
World 
UK 
UK Politics 
Interviews 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Tuesday, 23 May, 2000, 11:27 GMT 12:27 UK
Tyson row 'could change immigration rules'

Mike Tyson: Preparing for fight
Immigration rules could be changed amid fury over boxer Mike Tyson's return to Britain for a second time in four months.

Home Secretary Jack Straw has revealed he is issuing a consultative document proposing changes to the rules.

Mr Straw made the hint as he defended himself when he came under attack from MPs on his own side over the decision.

Jack Straw
Jack Straw: Granted Tyson entry in January
Tyson, a former heavyweight champion and convicted rapist, has been granted a visa for a fight against Lou Savarese at Hampden Park in Glasgow on 24 June.

The decision has caused outrage among many politicians in Westminster and been attacked by women's groups.

The home secretary said the proposals also involved the more consistent application of immigration rules in future.

He said one reason why he allowed Tyson back in was that other criminals with more serious convictions had been allowed into the UK.

Domestic violence

The fight will come four months after Tyson was allowed to fight Julius Francis in Manchester.

Former Transport Minister Glenda Jackson said the decision to let Tyson into the country could send a negative message about the government's policy on domestic violence.

Speaking in the Commons, she told Home Office Minister Charles Clarke: "You will be aware of the sense of stupefaction felt by many of my constituents at the Home Secretary's decision to allow into this country for a second time a proven abuser of women."

Mr Clarke said that tackling domestic violence, particularly against women, was a significant target of government policy and added that the decision to allow Tyson into the country had been taken by the Home Secretary alone.

Rethink plea

Senior Labour backbencher David Winnick asked the Home Secretary to reconsider.

"What sort of message is it if a convicted rapist like Tyson is allowed into the United Kingdom?" he asked.

"Are you aware that it is men as well as women who are deeply opposed to allowing him in? I hope you will understand the feelings on this side at least and reconsider your decision."

Mr Straw replied: "It is my responsibility to make these decisions on the law as it exists. The simple fact of the matter is that this particular immigration rule had been observed mainly in the breach rather than in the observance."

He added: "Above all, I had to take account of whether, in this particular case, Mr Tyson's entry would pose a risk to the public and on the basis of the history of this application and the need for fairness and consistency, I took the decision that I did."

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson fight gets dirty
21 May 00 | Scotland
Straw in private Tyson talks
20 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson ticket hotline inundated
19 May 00 | Scotland
Women plan Tyson 'confrontation'
19 May 00 | Scotland
Hampden named as Tyson venue
18 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson cleared for UK fight
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK Politics stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK Politics stories