| You are in: UK: Scotland | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Tuesday, 23 May, 2000, 07:51 GMT 08:51 UK
Transplant unit to resume work
![]() The trust has secured three new surgeons
Health chiefs have announced plans to re-establish Scotland's only heart transplant unit but it could take up to a year before operations resume.
The announcement has disappointed transplant patients who were told last month that operations would have to be suspended following the resignation of the only surgeon, Surendra Naik.
The NHS trust which runs the unit at Glasgow Royal Infirmary has secured the agreement of three cardiac surgeons at other hospitals in the city to perform transplants.
They would be sent to the Freeman Hospital, in Newcastle, where the 25 Scottish transplant patients have been referred. Clinical director, Alan Faichney, said North Glasgow University Hospitals Trust aimed to get the service back up and running as soon as possible. He said: "We are committed to re-establishing cardiac transplantation in Glasgow.
"Three surgeons involved have a similar commitment and that is why they have decided to go and update their skills and provide a long-term, viable transplant unit here."
She said: "I think it's ridiculous because they've known Mr Naik was leaving, they've known there were transplant surgeons at (Glasgow's) Western Infirmary and they could have had them training up. "I still feel it's down to bad management." Health Minister, Susan Deacon, said there had never been any danger that the transplant unit would be closed for good. She added that the priority all along had been to find a way of restoring the service for the long term. She ordered a report from the trust when it emerged that Scotland's transplant programme would have to be mothballed and the patients on the waiting list sent elsewhere. It was then announced that a team of surgeons would be trained to carry out the operations. The trust revealed that two of the 25 patients on the Scottish waiting list have since undergone surgery at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Scotland stories now:
Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Scotland stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|