BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Middle East
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Hilary Andersson
"In 24 hours at least eight villages have fallen"
 real 28k

The BBC's Hilary Andersson in Jerusalem
"The war in south Lebanon has reached a critical turning point"
 real 28k

The BBC's Paul Adams in Jerusalem
"Latest reports suggest the end of Israel's long occupation is happening faster than anyone predicted"
 real 28k

The BBC's Christopher Hack in Houla
"Hundreds of people crammed into the tiny village of Houla"
 real 28k

Monday, 22 May, 2000, 15:03 GMT 16:03 UK
Hezbollah splits occupation zone
SLA retreat from Majediyeh
SLA fighters abandoned their tanks and fled by car
Lebanese Hezbollah fighters are reported to have cut Israel's southern occupation zone in two, and are within a few miles of the common border.

The news came after Hezbollah took over several outposts abandoned by Israel's local client militia, the South Lebanon Army (SLA).


Arrest of Israeli
Hezbollah arrested "collaborators" left behind in Houla
UN spokesman Timur Gokksel said the so-called security zone had been severed at its narrowest point, leaving large numbers of SLA fighters cut off from supply lines.

An Israeli army spokesman said that as much as one-third of the zone was now out of the control of the Israelis and the SLA, which he said had virtually evaporated from all of its positions in the central and western part of the zone.



I don't recommend to anyone in the area to provoke a response from Israel

Israeli Premier Ehud Barak
Witnesses said two people had been killed when Israeli forces fired on hundreds of civilians marching to Meiss el-Jabal from nearby Houla, one of the villages taken by Hezbollah. Three were wounded in the village of Beit Yahoun.

Earlier, it emerged that Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak had ordered his country's troops to be ready to pull out of southern Lebanon as early as 1 June - five weeks ahead of schedule.

Visiting the border town of Zarit, he later warned that severe reprisals would follow any attacks launched at Israeli soldiers or civilians when the full troop pullout does take place.

Joyful reunions

Southern Lebanon has seen emotional scenes in recent days, as Lebanese civilians pour into villages abandoned by the SLA after more than 22 years.



Members of families divided by the occupation have been re-united - some meeting for the first time.

On Monday, Hezbollah fighters and hundreds of civilians entered Houla and other nearby villages, just two kilometres (1.2 miles) north of Israel.

Dozens of SLA members who had manned fortified positions at Houla and nearby Marqaba were earlier reported to have surrendered to their opponents.

There are reports that some militiamen's families, fearing retribution after collaboration with Israel, are gathering on the Israeli border, seeking asylum.

The Hezbollah arrested a number of alleged SLA "collaborators" on arrival in Houla, who it says failed to surrender.

Posts abandoned

The SLA has been steadily pulling out of strategic hilltop villages in advance of Israel's planned complete withdrawal from southern Lebanon.


Villagers offer thanks at their destroyed house in Qantara
Villagers offer thanks at their destroyed house in Qantara
The Lebanese resistance has pushed south towards the Israeli border, filling the vacuum left by the retreat.

According to Israeli television, the air force is destroying artillery pieces abandoned by the SLA lest it fall into Hezbollah hands.

Israel has denied bringing the pullout date forward because of escalating violence and fears that its allied militia is disintegrating, but says its army is ready to move out at any time.



I can confirm the chief of staff ordered the army to be ready and prepared for the redeployment as from 1 June

Senior Israeli officer
A high-ranking army officer, quoted by the Reuters news agency, said that Mr Barak had told troops to be ready to move out from 1 June.

"The redeployment will take place between this date and 7 July as the prime minister has instructed," he said.

However, the officer stressed that this did not mean a withdrawal was only days away.

Clashes

Meanwhile, fighting escalated on all fronts on Monday.


Israeli-Lebanese border
Israelis withdrew from positions near Taibeh on Sunday
Hezbollah kept up the pressure, shelling an Israeli early-warning station on the Golan Heights.

Israeli jets launched two air raids in the eastern sector of occupied south Lebanon after the attack.

And Israeli naval vessels have fired on suspected Hezbollah targets.

Residents of northern Israel have been ordered back into bomb shelters amid rising fears the guerrillas will fire Katyusha rockets over the border.

The BBC's Hilary Andersson says it is now clear that the Israeli withdrawal will take place under severe pressure.

Mr Barak called an emergency meeting of his security cabinet on Monday afternoon.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

21 May 00 | Middle East
Israel and Hezbollah exchange fire
21 May 00 | Middle East
Air raid hits Bekaa base
22 May 00 | Middle East
Arab concern over Israeli pullout
18 May 00 | Middle East
Lebanon fighting 'heavy'
14 May 00 | Middle East
Hezbollah raises stakes in Lebanon
07 May 00 | Middle East
Lebanese seek UN protection
05 May 00 | Middle East
Analysis: Risky strategy exposed
09 Feb 00 | Middle East
Q & A: Southern Lebanon
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Middle East stories