BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Monday, 22 May, 2000, 10:09 GMT 11:09 UK
Battle for Chechen village
Russian troops in Chechnya
Russian troops have been hit by a spate of rebel ambushes
Chechen rebels say their forces have stormed the village of Zhanni-Vedeno in south-eastern Chechnya, killing at least 20 Russian troops.

But the rebel claim has been denied by the Kremlin's top spokesman on Chechnya, Sergei Yastrzhembsky.

A report on the pro-Chechen website Kavkaz-Tsentr said the rebels seized the village in an overnight raid, killing more than 20 Russian soldiers and knocking out four armoured vehicles.

The report said several rebels were wounded in the assault.

The rebels repulsed a Russian counter-attack on Monday morning, the website said.

Bombing raids

Russian forces were "carrying out intensive bombing raids and artillery and rocket strikes on the village," it said.

Denying the report, Mr Yastrzhembsky told the Interfax news agency that the opposite was true.

Russian troops
Searching for rebels: Russia says thousands have been arrested

"The federal artillery heavily pounded a concentration of rebels in the area of Zhanni-Vedeno on Sunday.

The bodies of dead bandits are being counted. There were no casualties among the federal servicemen," he said.

Mr Yastrzhembsky said he could neither confirm nor deny rumours of the death of separatist warlord Shamil Basayev.

Ingushetia ambush

Earlier this month, 19 Russian troops were killed in an ambush in the neighbouring Russian Republic of Ingushetia, which Moscow blamed on Chechen rebels.

The rebels ambushed a military convoy in Sunzhenskiy District, which borders on Chechnya.

After that attack, the Russian minister responsible for Chechnya, Igor Koshman, said the rebels were infiltrating adjoining regions.

He said such attacks only underlined the need to keep up the offensive against the separatist rebels.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said he will only hold talks with separatist Chechen president Aslan Maskhadov if the rebels surrender unconditionally.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

11 May 00 | Europe
Russian convoy hit by rebels
10 May 00 | Europe
Defiant Maskhadov warns Moscow
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories