BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC's John Mclean in Manila
"Caused panic among shoppers"
 real 28k

Sunday, 21 May, 2000, 12:38 GMT 13:38 UK
Manila hit by cinema bomb

A link with the hostage-takers is being investigated
A bomb has exploded at a cinema in Manila's largest shopping centre, killing one man and injuring at least five other people.

The explosion came four days after a powerful blast at another mall in the Philippine capital injured 13 people.

Police are investigating a possible link with Muslim separatist rebels in the southern island of Mindanao, but say there is no evidence of this yet.



The guerrillas have threatened to launch attacks against Philippine cities in retaliation for a military offensive against their camps.

The Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) mounted fresh attacks in the southern Philippine region of Mindanao this month after suspending peace talks with the Estrada government.

Bomb placed in toilet

The bomb was placed in a corner of a women's toilet at a cinema at the SM Megamall, police said.

Unconfirmed radio reports said more than 10 people had been injured, including some hurt in a stampede after the explosion.

Many shops at the shopping centre, which covers several city blocks, quickly closed their gates.

Security has been sharply tightened at malls throughout the city since Wednesday's bombing, with more security guards on patrol and inspections of bags brought into the buildings.

President's concern

President Joseph Estrada has spoken of a plot to destabilise his administration.

After Wednesday's bomb, he cut short a visit to China and cancelled planned visits to Britain and France.

The MILF and the fundamentalist Abu Sayyaf group, which has held 21 hostages on Jolo Island for four weeks, are fighting for a separate Muslim homeland in the south of the largely Roman Catholic country.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Kidnappers demand $2m ransom
15 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Filipino rebels' new demands
12 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Church call for prayer crusade
02 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Swordsmen of God at war
09 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Eyewitness: Inside the Jolo hostage camp
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories