BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK: Scotland
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC Scotland's Sandy Murray reports
"Tyson has a record of violence outside the rules and outside the ring"
 real 28k

BBC Scotland's Nuala Napier reports
"The contest outside the ring could be the most vicious"
 real 28k

Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 17:22 GMT 18:22 UK
Tyson promised hostile reception
Evening Times
Demand for tickets is reported to be high
Trades unions have announced plans for a series of protests against Mike Tyson's fight in Glasgow next month.

They have promised to "make their feelings known" following the home secretary's decision to allow the former heavyweight champion and convicted rapist to enter the United Kingdom for the second time in a year.

Organisers of the fight against Lou Savarese at Hampden Park on 24 June said they have been inundated with requests for tickets for the bout.

However, the Scottish Trades Union Congress said it had also received a flood of calls from people protesting at the Tyson decision.


Rozeanna Foyer
Rozeanna Foyer: "Make our feelings known"

Spokeswoman Rozeanna Foyer said: "We may not be able to change the home secretary's decision on this but I think we should certainly be making our feelings known.

"We will be organising, we will be writing to people, we will be out on the streets and we will be in the faces of the Home Office and the Scottish Football Association on this issue.

Following Jack Straw's announcement that Tyson could enter the UK, the SFA confirmed that the national stadium at Hampden would be the venue for the fight.

The SFA said its decision was based on purely commercial considerations, provoking further anger from MSPs and women's groups.

Chief executive David Taylor said he had acknowledged the views of those against the fight but promised that it would be "a showpiece" for the newly rebuilt stadium and the city of Glasgow.


Mike Tyson
Tyson: Second visit this year

Tyson was the focus for protests when he arrived in Manchester to fight Julius Francis in February but opponents of the latest fight have promised a more hostile reception on this occasion.

But one man delighted to hear of Tyson's imminent arrival was bantamweight Brian Carr, who has been confirmed as one of the fighters on the bill that night.

The Moodiesburn fighter announced his retirement immediately after his fourth title defeat when Nadel Hussein beat him on points at Kelvin Hall earlier this year.

But the 30-year-old had a rethink after receiving dozens of messages of support.

He said: "I am really looking forward to it. I have never boxed outside before so to do so on the same bill as Tyson will be a great experience.

"It is all the sweeter because I was definitely finished in the fight game just a couple of months ago."

Carr's opponent has yet to be confirmed but he will be fighting alongside fellow Scot Barry Hughes on the Tyson bill.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

19 May 00 | Scotland
Hampden named as Tyson venue
18 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson cleared for UK fight
18 May 00 | Scotland
Full text of Straw's decision
11 Jan 00 | Sport
The life of Iron Mike
30 Jan 00 | Sport
Tyson in the ring
19 May 00 | Scotland
Women plan Tyson 'confrontation'
20 May 00 | Scotland
Tyson ticket hotline inundated
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories