| You are in: World: Middle East | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 19:12 GMT 20:12 UK
Air raid hits Bekaa base
![]() Lebanon fears that Israel is planning to destroy this Crusader castle
At least three members of a radical Palestinian group are reported to have been killed and several others injured, by an Israeli air attack on their base near Lebanon's border with Syria.
The target of the raid was reported to be a training centre for the guerrilla group, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine-General Command (PFLP-GC), in the Bekaa valley. In a separate development, Lebanon's Prime Minister Salim al-Hoss has appealed for international help to prevent the destruction of one of Lebanon's most famous historic sites - Beaufort Castle - ahead of Israel's withdrawal from the country in July. And the pro-Israeli militia, the South Lebanon Army continues to suffer desertions. Warning attack In Saturday's air raid, Israeli warplanes fired 16 missiles at the base of the pro-Syrian PFLP-GC headed by Ahmad Jibril.
A Lebanese military source said three Palestinians were killed and five wounded, contradicting denials of any casualties by officials of the group.
An Israeli military statement said 10 T-55 tanks had been destroyed. A similar raid was carried out against a PLFP-GC target in March this year. That attack was interpreted by observers as an Israeli warning to Palestinian groups not to complicate the Israeli pullout from Lebanon expected on 7 July. The PFLP-GC has several bases south of Beirut and in the Bekaa valley. The group left the Palestine Liberation Organisation in 1984 and is totally opposed to the 1993 Oslo accords signed by Israel and PLO. Bringing withdrawal forward
Israeli military officials, including Chief of Staff General Shaul Mofaz, have hinted that Israel might bring forward its planned pullout date because of the increased number of attacks against its forces in Lebanon.
Israeli planes responded with two air-to-surface missiles aimed at Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon. Castle plea Ahead of Israel's withdrawal, Lebanese Prime Minister Salim al-Hoss says he has evidence that Israel is planning to destroy Beaufort Castle, an 11th Century crusader castle in southern Lebanon, as part of a scorched earth policy. Mr Hoss has written an impassioned letter to world leaders, pleading for the castle to be saved. He said its destruction would be a crime against history. Security sources in Lebanon say six tons of high-explosives have been delivered to Beaufort. The implications, according to the Lebanese Government, are clear. The castle is already in ruins and some reports suggest the Israelis might be using it as a store, with the explosives earmarked for blowing up other abandoned positions. SLA desertions Five more members of the SLA deserted from the pro-Israeli militia on Saturday, giving themselves up to the pro-Syrian Shiite group Amal. The desertions bring to 24 the number of SLA members who have defected since Monday. "The desertions are a tangible sign that the pro-Israeli militia is nearing its last breath," a statement from Amal said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Middle East stories now:
Links to more Middle East stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Middle East stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|