| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 14:46 GMT 15:46 UK
DR Congo massacre reported
More than 300 people have been killed in a massacre in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, according to the Rome-based missionary news agency Misna.
The agency said the killings were committed by the main rebel group in the DRC, the Rwandan-backed Congolese Rally for Democracy (RCD), and took place overnight May 14-15. On Friday, the RCD dismissed a report by an international human rights group which accused them of the torture and killing of civilians in rebel-held areas in the east of the country. The report, released earlier this week by the New York-based Human Rights Watch, said Congolese rebels and allied Rwandan army units had committed rape and murder on a massive scale.
|
Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|