BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 09:19 GMT 10:19 UK
Anger at Malaysia hostage talks
hostages, Jolo
The hostages ' ordeal began on April 23
Malaysian diplomats have held face-to-face talks with the kidnappers holding 21 hostages in the Philippines, it has been revealed.

The move was condemned by Filipino officials, who said it could jeopardise official attempts to negotiate an end to the crisis on the island of Jolo.

Malaysian Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar said the meeting had involved the Malaysian ambassador to the Philippines and four rebel commanders, whose demand were "rather vague".

He said the talks were aimed at freeing all the hostages, not just the nine Malaysians among them. He insisted the move had been sanctioned by Manila.


Hostage Renate Wallert
German Renate Wallert has hypertension
But officials in Manila and on Jolo condemned the move. The Philippines Executive Secretary, Ronaldo Zamora, said that Malaysia was in a difficult position but its action was not appropriate.

"The majority of the hostages are Malaysian and we understand their interest and concern.

"But if you ask us we discourage this kind of unilateral activity because it confuses negotiations," Mr Zamora said.

Cut short

Tension has been increased on the island since a grenade attack on Thursday on the main market in Jolo town, which left at least seven people dead.

President Joseph Estrada cut short an official visit to China and returned home on Friday.

The hostages were taken to the island of Jolo after being captured on a Malaysian island on April 23 by Abu Sayyaf Muslim rebels.

As well as the nine Malaysians, the kidnappers are holding three Germans, two French people, two South Africans, two Finns, two Filipinos and one Lebanese man.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Bomb blasts rock Jolo
17 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Kidnappers demand $2m ransom
15 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Filipino rebels' new demands
02 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Swordsmen of God at war
09 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Eyewitness: Inside the Jolo hostage camp
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories