| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 06:29 GMT 07:29 UK
US diplomats leave Eritrea
![]() The war multiplies the sufferings brought by drought
American diplomats are being evacuated from Eritrea as Ethiopian troops advance deeper into the country.
A statement issued by the Ethiopian Government in Addis Ababa said that its troops now controlled the town of Madima and reported fresh bombing raids on targets deep inside Eritrea.
The capture of Madima would bring Ethiopian troops within 50km (30 miles) of the key town of Mendefera, and 100km (62 miles) south-west of the capital, Asmara.
The United States on Friday ordered the evacuation from Eritrea of non-essential US diplomats and dependants of all embassy personnel. Last week the State Department authorised voluntary departures of some US diplomats from the area. "US citizens are urged to depart the country while commercial transportation is available," the State Department said in a statement. It acknowledged that the fighting - which until recently had been confined to the border area - had spread into Eritrea. There is no independent confirmation of the latest claims from Addis Ababa, but Ethiopia's recent official statements on the military situation have been largely reliable. Ethiopia's airforce also conducted bombing raids on the Eritrean coast, near the main port of Massawa, on Friday. Annan's appeal The UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, said millions of Ethiopians and Eritreans were already in urgent need of assistance because of the severe drought in the region, and the upsurge in fighting made their situation worse.
Mr Annan backed an initiative to bring "an immediate and mutual halt in fighting and a resumption of talks leading to a complete restoration of peace," his spokesman, Fred Eckhard, said.
Ethiopia's declared aim is to destroy the Eritrean military completely in order to end the two-year conflict along their common border. The Eritrean Government, which has not confirmed the latest Ethiopian claims, has accused Ethiopia of expanding the war and creating a wave of refugees. The Eritrean authorities are preparing temporary camps to cope with the displaced people. Observers believe the next 48 hours in this conflict could be crucial as Ethiopian forces strive to cut off vast numbers of Eritrean troops deployed on the border. The Organisation of African Unity has appealed for an immediate ceasefire and a resumption of the peace process. But all the indications at present are that Ethiopia is intent on pursuing its military objectives.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|