| You are in: World | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, 20 May, 2000, 08:40 GMT 09:40 UK
Lockerbie cash bid rejected
![]() The trial got under way at Camp Zeist on 3 May
Relatives of victims of the Lockerbie disaster have had a plea for cash aid to attend the trial of the two accused in the Netherlands rejected.
Three relatives had applied to the Lockerbie Air Disaster Fund for help in meeting the cost of attending the Camp Zeist court case. In considering the application, the trustees said expert legal advice was taken and it was agreed unanimously that they could not make a grant available as it fell outside the remit and powers of the trust.
The fund was set up after the downing of New York-bound Pan Am flight 103 over the Scottish town of Lockerbie in December 1988. A spokesman said: "While sympathising with the relatives of all the victims who died on that awful night, the trustees are bound by the terms of the trust which specifies that the fund is to be applied solely for charitable purposes and in the interests of the community of Lockerbie." He added: "While understanding the desire of relatives to see justice being done, the trustees noted that there are closed circuit TV facilities in both London and Dumfries broadcasting every detail of the proceedings and also that the American Office for Victims of Crime have said they will fund a week's trip to Holland for two relatives of all victims killed in the disaster whatever their nationality." The original disaster fund of £2.5m was publicly wound up after giving £1.9m to relatives of victims and £300,000 to memorials. The fund also contributed towards the setting up of the Syracuse Trust in memory of the 35 University students who died and £300,000 to a new Trust for the Community of Lockerbie for the benefit of local people in future years. The trial of the two Libyan accused of the bombing began on 3 May at Camp Zeist but was adjourned for 12 days last week to allow the prosecution time to prepare the next phase of its case.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top World stories now:
Links to more World stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more World stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|