BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Africa
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Mark Doyle
"The release of the rebel leader is a pre-condition to talking peace"
 real 28k

Friday, 19 May, 2000, 17:14 GMT 18:14 UK
Rebels demand Sankoh release
Foday Sankoh after his capture
Mr Sankoh was captured in Freetown two days ago
Sierra Leone's rebel Revolutionary United Front say they will fight rather than negotiate unless their leader, Foday Sankoh, is released.

Mr Sankoh was captured by Sierra Leone police in the capital on Wednesday - a week after he fled his Freetown home when rebels shot and killed 19 people protesting at the capture of UN peacekeepers.

The rebels' announcement came as the UN Security Council voted to enlarge its beleagured peacekeeping force in Sierra Leone.

The United Kingdom is to provide further assistance in the form of a training programme for Sierra Leone's own army.



We will answer force with force and dialogue with dialogue

Gibril Massakoi
RUF spokesman
RUF spokesman Gibril Massakoi demanded Mr Sankoh be set free. He said the rebels would not "sit back and watch" if their leadership was put on trial.

A number of other senior RUF members have been taken into government custody.

Mr Massakoi told the French AFP news agency: "We will answer force with force and dialogue with dialogue.

"We want to go back to the negotiating table to make sure that all parties comply with what they signed."

Mr Massakoi said the RUF was committed to the 1999 Lome peace accord, which granted rebels full amnesty for horrific atrocities committed during the brutal eight-year civil war, and gave their leader vice-presidential status in a power-sharing government.

More soldiers

The UN Security Council voted on Friday to increase the size of its peacekeeping mission to 13,000 troops.


Released UN soldier
Nearly half the detained 500 UN troops have escaped or been set free
Diplomats said Secretary-General Kofi Annan favoured an even larger force, eventually numbering 16,500 soldiers.

The force, already the largest UN peacekeeping mission, is currently authorised to have 11,100 troops.

But India, Bangladesh and Jordan have already promised troops whose presence would bring the size of the force over that limit by the weekend.

The rebels' capture of hundreds of UN troops early in May signalled the start of the latest crisis in Sierra Leone.

British training

A British army spokesman said the task of the proposed UK training team would be to create a new, effective army to protect Sierra Leone's elected government.

The training programme is in addition to the British task force of paratroopers and marines already engaged in Sierra Leone.

The Sierra Leone army has in the past been one of the most ill-disciplined and corrupt military forces in Africa.

Maximum alert

Shortly before the demand for Mr Sankoh's release, British paratroopers at a forward outpost were put on maximum alert after reports emerged of threatened rebel attacks.

Mr Sankoh was last seen in public at Freetown airport, protected by British soldiers, but technically in the custody of the Sierra Leone police. He is currently being held at an undisclosed location.

Some senior RUF members are also in government hands, while others have fled to rebel strongholds inland.

Mr Sankoh had been condemned to death for treason but the conviction was lifted after he signed the peace deal last year.

The BBC's Mark Doyle in Freetown says the demand for the release of Mr Sankoh will put the UN in a difficult position.

It earlier expressed concern at the condition of about 300 of its peacekeepers, apparently still being held by the rebels, after Liberia's president said between 30 and 40 were wounded.

The RUF, however, says it is not holding the peacekeepers hostage and will facilitate their passage to safety in neighbouring Liberia - which has fostered close relations with the rebels - if they find them.

Another 13 peacekeepers have now returned to Freetown. These are the first of 80 who were reportedy allowed to cross into Liberia on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, it remains unclear whether US peace envoy Jesse Jackson will visit Sierra Leone.

The Sierra Leone Government was angered by comments he made which have been perceived as sympathetic to Mr Sankoh.

But arriving in the Liberian capital, Monrovia, on Friday, Mr Jackson said it would be a "huge mistake" for the rebels to link the release of their hostages to that of Mr Sankoh.

"All the hostages should be freed and freed now. There is no basis for delay, there is no basis for negotiation," Mr Jackson told reporters

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

12 May 00 | Africa
Foday Sankoh: Rebel leader
19 May 00 | Africa
Rebels accuse Britain
17 May 00 | Africa
What now for Sankoh?
17 May 00 | Africa
UN peacekeepers fly to safety
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories