| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, 19 May, 2000, 13:24 GMT 14:24 UK
Ivorian leader purges cabinet
![]() General Guei: Many believe he wants to run for the presidency
The military ruler of Ivory Coast, General Robert Guei, has sacked from his government supporters of a leading contender in forthcoming presidential elections, Alassane Outtara.
But the Secretary-General of Mr Ouattara's party, the Rally of Republicans, (RDR) Henriette Diabate, has been retained as Culture Minister in the new 24-member cabinet.
Two women have also been named in the new government. Nationality General Guei's reshuffle follows a decision by the RDR to oppose his proposed draft constitution which is to be put to a referendum on 23 July. The party said General Guei had failed to remove from the draft a nationality clause which could bar Mr Ouattara - a former prime minister - from standing in presidential elections. The previous government's exclusion of Mr Ouattara from the presidential race on the grounds of his nationality fuelled last year's political crisis in Ivory Coast - a crisis which led to General Guei's coup against Mr Bedie.
He said the reshuffle became necessary because of unspecified "acts of defiance and even insubordination". "Acts of defiance, from whatever quarter, will not be tolerated, especially when they subjugate or refuse the will of the greater number, meaning the refusal of the elementary principle of democracy," he said. "A minister is not in the service of a political party, but is above all a minister of the republic," General Guei added. Guei for president?
That would automatically exclude Mr Ouattara, who worked for the West African Development Bank as a national of neighbouring Burkina Faso - where his father is alleged to have come from. Earlier this week, a spokesman for Mr Ouattara's party Ahmadou Coulibaly accused General Guei of looking for a way to push out Mr Outtara and perpetuate himself in power. Some observers say the general will put himself forward as a presidential candidate in September.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|