BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


BBC's Richard Galpin
Many of the worst hit areas remain completely cut off as a result of the flooding
 real 28k

The BBC's Dan Isaacs
"Hardest hit have been refugee camps"
 real 28k

Friday, 19 May, 2000, 11:58 GMT 12:58 UK
Indonesia flood fears grow
Men pushing a jeep in floodwaters
The Philippines has also been badly affected by floods
Emergency rescue teams are battling to reach tens of thousands of people stranded by heavy flooding in the Indonesian province of West Timor.

The UN refugee agency says the situation is rapidly worsening. At least 80 people have been confirmed dead, but the number of casualties is expected to rise.

Chief of operations of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Bernard Kerblat, said thousands had been stranded without fresh water and food.

There is now concern about possible outbreaks of diseases such as cholera.



So far, 1,435 people have been evacuated from the southern Belu region, and it's still raining

UNHCR spokesman
Correspondents say survivors have been seen eating the bloated carcasses of dead animals.

A UN spokesman told the BBC about 35,000 people were now on the move in West Timor trying to escape the floods, which officials say are the worst for 60 years.

Rescue efforts

Rescue efforts are being hampered by floodwaters as high as two metres in places.

Some areas have been cut off after roads and bridges were swept away.

"Communications between the river banks are all out. We have to use helicopters to reach the other side," one government rescuer said.

"That's why the death count is not completely accurate, we just do not know what's happening on the other side."


Woman in floodwater
A woman clears rubbish from her shop in Manila
Three UN helicopters are now helping move people out of the area.

"So far, 1,435 people have been evacuated from the southern Belu region, and it's still raining," said Jake Morland, a spokesman for the UNHCR in Kupang, the capital of West Timor.

Ten trucks loaded with food and plastic sheeting were also trying to reach affected areas.

Many of the dead were East Timorese refugees who were among the thousands to flee the province during violence after last year's independence vote.

Philippines storms

In the Philippines' main island of Luzon, more than 100,000 had to flee their homes because of severe flooding.

Waters rose to neck-high level in parts, including the capital, Manila, where 10,000 abandoned their homes.

At least eight people have been killed since Thursday.

The weather bureau said the tropical depression "Biring" was behind the storms that had brought the heavy rain.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

18 May 00 | Asia-Pacific
Thousands flee floods
14 Sep 98 | From Our Own Correspondent
Living with the floods
27 Aug 98 | South Asia
Millions affected by flood
08 Nov 99 | Asia-Pacific
Aid reaches Vietnam flood victims
04 Nov 99 | Asia-Pacific
Hundreds die in Vietnam floods
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories