| You are in: World: Asia-Pacific | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 19 May, 2000, 13:43 GMT 14:43 UK
Suharto trial 'imminent'
![]() Protesters have repeatedly called for justice
The Indonesian Government says it is close to putting disgraced former president Suharto on trial.
Mr Suharto is suspected of embezzling millions of dollars during his 32 years in power.
Attorney-General Marzuki Darusman said they planned to lodge the documents with the courts by 10 August.
It's expected the trial will begin later that month. He also warned Mr Suharto of reduced protection if he was not more co-operative with the investigation. "If there is no co-operation from Suharto's family...then security arrangements for them will be downgraded to the very minimum," Mr Marzuki was quoted saying. The former leader's Jakarta home has been the scene of frequent, sometimes violent protests by student groups demanding he go on trial. Mr Marzuki also extended the ban on Mr Suharto leaving the capital until 10 August. Ailing
The attorney-general did not specify what the charges against Mr Suharto might be.
The former president, who denies accusations of massive corruption, has been briefly grilled on several occasions. Two of his six children, son Bambang Trihatmojo and daughter Siti Hardijanti Rukmana, have also been questioned. But Mr Suharto's lawyers have repeatedly stated that he is too ill to be questioned. He has lived largely in seclusion since being forced out of power in May 1998, suffered a mild stroke last year and was twice admitted to hospital. Fortune Estimates of the fortune that Mr Suharto and his family amassed during his rule have ranged from a few hundred million dollars to over $10bn. Last Friday, hundreds of students demanding Mr Suharto be put on trial clashed with police guarding his house. Police fired tear gas to quell the violence. The protest marked the second anniversary of the shooting of four protesters in Jakarta, which sparked mass rioting and helped speed Mr Suharto's downfall. President Abdurrahman Wahid has said that, if Mr Suharto is found guilty, he will be pardoned if he apologises and returns some of the money he amassed.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Asia-Pacific stories now:
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Asia-Pacific stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|