| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 19 May, 2000, 11:18 GMT 12:18 UK
Humanitarian crisis looms in Eritrea
![]() Thousands of displaced people were already living in the area
Eritrea fears a humanitarian crisis as more than 500,000 people flee advancing Ethiopian forces in the south-west of the country.
The conflict is likely to destroy the next harvest in the country's main food-producing region. Infrastructure crucial to a region already hit by severe drought is being damaged or destroyed, and thousands of landmines pose a new threat near the front lines. The crisis is overshadowing efforts to provide aid across the Horn of Africa region where about 10m people face the threat of starvation as a result of three years of failed rains. Eritrean appeal The Eritrean Government's Relief and Refugee Commission says 550,000 people are on the move, trying to escape the advancing Ethiopian army.
"It is no less than a humanitarian crisis," said agency official Worku Tesfamichael. World Food Programme Brenda Barton described the situation as "very serious". "At the moment we are scrambling around to try and source the quantities and kinds of food we will need to sustain a very large population on the move," she said. Emergency supplies The UN's representative in Asmara, Simon Nhongo, said the Eritrean Government had asked the UN to help out in providing emergency supplies, such as tents, blankets, relief food and water storage facilities.
Normally, the land would be ploughed at this time of year in preparation for the rains which are expected in the next month. The war has ruled out the possibility of a harvest, which means Eritrea will be dependent on international aid to feed at least half its population for months to come. Refugees arrive in Sudan Thousands of Eritreans have already fled into neighbouring Sudan. Ron Redmond, spokesman for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said it was estimated that between 6,000 and 20,000 Eritreans arrived in Sudan on Thursday, reportedly from the Tessenei area, just inside Eritrea. He said they included Eritrean soldiers, who had been disarmed by the Sudanese army. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|