BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Europe
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 


The BBC's Nick Thorpe in Belgrade
"Each new incident appears to be fuelling the protesters"
 real 28k

Nick Thorpe:
"It's a dramatic reminder of how tense things are in Serbia"
 real 28k

Serbian journalist Marianna Zeravkovic
"We cannot be independent. We have to write what they want"
 real 28k

Friday, 19 May, 2000, 04:09 GMT 05:09 UK
Serb police break up protest
Police and protesters clashed
Police and protesters clashed
Police have broken up a demonstration in Belgrade for the second consecutive day.

The BBC correspondent in Belgrade said the police fired tear gas into a crowd of several thousand opposition supporters as they left a peaceful rally.

The protesters were demonstrating against the government takeover of opposition television and radio stations.

BBC correspondent, Nick Thorpe, who was at the scene, says it is not clear what started the incident.


Riot police attack protesters outside
Riot police clashed with protesters outside the City Hall
Hundreds of people took refuge in Belgrade City Hall, where the tear gas also penetrated.

The police did not enter the building but those who could not push their way inside were severely beaten.

Injures

The independent Beta news agency said several persons, including policemen, were injured in the violence.

Doctor Slobodan Ivanovic from Belgrade's Anlave clinic told Reuters news agency that 11 injured people were in the City Hall.

He said that two were unconscious, two had suffered concussion and two had severe head cuts.


Opposition supporters pushing garbage containers
Demonstrators pushed rubbish containers to prevent the police advance
Thousands of people had gathered outside the city hall earlier in the evening to protest against Wednesday's takeover of Studio B by authorities who accused the station of calling for their violent overthrow.

Shortly before 2200 (2000 GMT), journalists, opposition leaders and others left the building.

The head of the city government, Spasoje Krunic, said he had talked with the head of the Belgrade police, Major General Branko Djuric, who said there had been a lot of street disturbances.

"I told him I did not know about this but we shared our concern. I asked him to allow us to peacefully leave the City Hall and he promised he would do so," Mr Krunic said.

Resistance

Earlier, one of the leaders of the Serbian opposition alliance, Zoran Djindjic, said resistance to the government's takeover of opposition television and radio stations will be stepped up.

He said the Alliance for Change would call daily protests in the capital and other major towns as part of a wave of civil disobedience against President Slobodan Milosevic.

Alongside with Studio B, police also seized control of three other independent media outlets housed in the same building - radio broadcaster B2-92, Index Radio and the privately-owned daily paper, Blic.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

17 May 00 | Media reports
How free speech went off-air
03 Apr 99 | Monitoring
Serbia closes B92 radio station
18 Mar 00 | Europe
Serbia clamps down on media
13 Apr 00 | Europe
Serb media defies government
18 May 00 | Europe
B92: Belgrade's impartial voice
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Europe stories