| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Friday, 19 May, 2000, 13:07 GMT 14:07 UK
Cleared nursery owner wants inquiry
![]() A "thrilled" Gloria Price leaves court
A former nursery school owner is calling for an independent inquiry after she was cleared of charges of cruelty against children in her care.
Gloria Price, 58, is also considering legal action against the police and social services. Mrs Price had already been cleared on two counts when a jury at Merthyr Crown Court was discharged after they failed to reach verdicts on the remaining 12 charges.
Then on Friday, David Aubrey QC, who prosecuted in the case, announced that it would not be in the public interets to seek a retrial. He said all the issues had been raised and another trial would involve considerable time and cost. And, he told the judge, in the light of what was known, it was unlikely Mr Price would obtain a licence in the future so any fears or risks were avoided. Clearing Mrs Price of all charges, Judge Gareth Davies said he was "extremely concerned" about some aspects of the case. It appeared, he said, that witnesses had been pressurised during interviews with police officers into saying some things they did not want to say. Judge's questions Ordering the Crown Prosecution Service to report back on the issues raised, the judge also questioned the way that a closing order on the nursery was obtained so quickly, saying it was an extreme measure. Speaking outside court, Mr Price's solicitor said her client was "thrilled" with the outcome but would welcome an independent inquiry and was consider taking legal action against Dyfed Powys Police and the Social Services Department of Powys County Council. During a trial lasting four weeks, staff from the Playtime nursery in Brecon, alleged that Gloria Price "hit, humiliated, force-fed and frightened" children in her care.
The 57-year-old had strenuously denied the allegations, claiming staff and a disgruntled parent formed a conspiracy to make up accusations. And some parents - appearing for the defence - told the court that their children had been very happy at the nursery. A spokesman for the Crown Prosecution Service said they were satisfied that this matter was properly brought to trial. A statement from Dyfed-Powys Police read: "Police efforts have always been directed at obtaining the truth of these matters, and our responsibilities are now complete." Tim Brown, Director of Social Services with Powys County Council, said: "As soon as this department became aware of the concerns about Playtime Nursery, Dyfed-Powys Police were informed and the investigation took place under the procedures agreed by the Area Child Protection Committee. "We gave the police our full co-operation with their investigation into the allegations of ill-treatment of children. "The department acted swiftly to obtain an order from the magistrates' court to cancel the registration of the nursery and Mrs Price did not appeal against this decision."
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Wales stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|