BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: World: Asia-Pacific
Front Page 
World 
Africa 
Americas 
Asia-Pacific 
Europe 
Middle East 
South Asia 
-------------
From Our Own Correspondent 
-------------
Letter From America 
UK 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 18 May, 2000, 18:01 GMT 19:01 UK
Thousands flee floods
Men pushing a jeep in floodwaters
Men push a jeep in Quezon city in the Philippines
Floods in Indonesia and the Philippines have killed more than 100 people and have left tens of thousands of others homeless.

At least 98 people have been killed in Indonesia's West Timor after heavy rains swept away their houses, the official news agency Antara reported.

Hundreds of homes have been submerged and officials are still searching for more victims and survivors as they sift through the wreckage.

Rescue efforts were being hampered by the floodwaters, up to two metres deep, which have cut off access to the area, Antara reported.


Woman in floodwater
A woman clears rubbish from her shop
The floods devastated the Belu region after the Beneneai River broke its banks, carrying away the only bridge in the area.

It is not known what has happened to hundreds of farmers, in the border area with East Timor, who have been cut off by rising water levels, Belu district head Marselius Bere told Antara.

A local official said the death toll could be as high as 500.

The UN High Commissoner for Refugees (UNHCR) in East Timor said the situation was "chronic".

UNHCR said most of the victims in West Timor were East Timorese refugees - and included many children.

Thousands of refugees from East Timor had fled to the western part of the island during the spate of violence that followed the independence vote last year.

Neck-high in Manila

In the Philippine main island of Luzon, at least eight people were killed and more than 100,000 people had to flee their homes in northern provinces because of floods.


Residents in floodwaters
The floods: Blamed on a tropical depression
In Manila, more than 10,000 people abandoned their homes, Red Cross officials said.

Among those killed in Manila were a mother and her teenage daughter, crushed to death when a wall collapsed.

Many took shelter in schools, day-care centres and community chapels, the Office of Civil Defence said.

Some major roads were cut off and some areas also experienced power cuts.

Floodwaters from three days of heavy rain reached up to neck-level in some areas.

The weather bureau said a tropical depression was behind the heavy rain and 45km per hour winds which had hit Luzon.

Bombay affected

Flooding has also hit other areas in the region including Bombay, where six million people living in slum areas have had to shelter in rail and bus stations as waters seeped into their homes.

Police said one woman from a slum area was killed and her two children injured when part of her house collapsed.

The flood brought rail and road traffic to a halt and hundreds of thousands of commuters were stranded at stations.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

14 Sep 98 | From Our Own Correspondent
Living with the floods
27 Aug 98 | South Asia
Millions affected by flood
08 Nov 99 | Asia-Pacific
Aid reaches Vietnam flood victims
04 Nov 99 | Asia-Pacific
Hundreds die in Vietnam floods
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Asia-Pacific stories