| You are in: Entertainment | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, 18 May, 2000, 09:28 GMT 10:28 UK
Duchovny agrees X-Files deal
He's back in there...sometimes - X-Files star David Duchovny
David Duchovny has agreed to resume his role as agent Fox Mulder in The X-Files after reaching a settlement with the programme's makers.
The actor, who claimed he had been overworked and underpaid, confirmed he will continue his quest for the truth in a new series of the cult sci-fi drama, although he will not feature in every episode. US television network Fox persuaded X-Files creator Chris Carter to sign up for another year on Tuesday, while Duchovny's co-star Gillian Anderson, who plays agent Dana Scully, was already under contract. Duchovny said he was delighted the matter had been resolved, allowing him to return for an eighth series.
"I am pleased we were able to come to an agreement that enables me to remain part of the X-Files," he announced. "Now that all the business issues have been settled, I'm looking forward to going back to work." The 39-year-old actor took legal action against Fox, claiming the TV giants gave its affliliate stations favourable deals on re-runs of The X-Files. He argued that the programme should have been sold to the highest bidder and the loss of potential profits had resulted in him being underpaid. Details of the new settlement have not been revealed, but there is speculation Duchovny could earn up to $20m (£14m), including wages of up to $400,000 (£250,000) per episode. The X-Files, which has won 13 Emmys and three Golden Globes, centres on the investigations of special agents Mulder and Scully as they probe unsolved FBI cases - such as UFO sightings - while unseen forces hinder their work. It is shown in the UK on Sky TV and the BBC and has built up an army of loyal fans.
Anderson, 31, said producers of the show had prepared different endings for the finale of the seventh series - to be screened in the US on 21 May - to allow for the possibility of Duchovny leaving. Carter, who is also the show's executive producer, had earlier agreed to write a new series with or without the star, but admitted he was happy with the outcome. "I'm very pleased and I think with the season finale cliffhanger it creates great opportunities to take the show in new directions," Carter said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Entertainment stories now:
Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Entertainment stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|