BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Thursday, 18 May, 2000, 14:40 GMT 15:40 UK
ITV sent back to the drawing board
ITN news
Viewing figures for national news have fallen
The television watchdog has rejected ITV's plans to improve promotion of its news and spend more on evening programmes in the wake of the demise of News at Ten.

The Independent Television Commission had been expected to give its final verdict on the decision to scrap the programme amid speculation it would force ITV to bring it back.

But the ITC said it had not considered that option and has told ITV to come back with a new package of proposals by 22 June.

ITV had proposed to give greater emphasis to its news programmes as well as a pledge to spend more money on programmes between 2100 and 2300.

Another solution being considered was for ITN's Nightly News bulletin to be aired half an hour earlier.

'Entertainment trivia'

In March, a Commons select committee said News at Ten should be brought back and put pressure on the commission to use its regulatory powers.

Last week, four of television's most respected figures called for the return of News at Ten.

The former newsreader, Sir Alastair Burnet, and the three men who ran ITN from 1956 to 1991, wrote to the ITC.

They accused ITV of ruining the reputation of its news by replacing ITN with "weak series, entertainment trivia and mildly pornographic programmes".


News at Ten logo
ITC could order bulletin's return

The number of people watching ITV news has dropped by one million, 14% of the audience, since News at Ten was scrapped 13 months ago.

The network was told to come up with measures to increase the audience for news after MPs suggested that ITV was not fulfilling its public service obligations.

It said the quality of ITN's bulletins had not been reduced but the audience had.

Strict scheduling requirements are placed on ITV by the Broadcasting Act.

The ITC had to give its permission before ITV was allowed to drop News at Ten.

Technically, it could force the programme back on air because, when they applied for their licences, most of the ITV companies said they would screen the news at 10pm.

However, it is thought the ITV companies might be able to challenge that in law because so much has changed in the television market since they won their licences.

ITV says its regional news audience is in decline but adds that performances have improved since the beginning of this year.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

22 Mar 00 | UK Politics
Bring back News at Ten say MPs
02 Mar 00 | UK Politics
MPs rap ITV over News At Ten
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories