| You are in: World: Europe | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 17 May, 2000, 19:00 GMT 20:00 UK
Serb UN employee found dead
![]() K-For and the UN have tried to keep Serbs and Kosovo Albanians apart
The United Nations in Kosovo has launched an investigation into the killing of an ethnic Serb working for its mission in the province.
The man, Petar Topoljski, was found stabbed to death in a village near the capital, Pristina, a week after he went missing from his job as a translator for the UN. He was found earlier this week and identified on Tuesday. He was abducted after his name and address were published in a local Albanian language newspaper, Dita, which accused him of war crimes.
'Hate speech' The BBC's Nicholas Wood in Pristina says the case is a serious embarrassment for the UN itself.
Mr Topoljski had apparently been threatened by fellow Albanian members of staff. In spite of this he was sent by his immediate superior to collect an airline ticket from a travel agency in the middle of Pristina.
In February this year the UN commission in Kosovo issued new laws designed to tackle so-called hate speech in the media. The punishments can extend to eight years in prison. So far there have not been any prosecutions. The head of the UN mission in Kosovo, Bernard Kouchner, condemned the killing. "This news is a terrible blow, not only to the family and friends of Mr Topoljski, but also to all the staff. We have tried to create the conditions of security for all our staff. But those intent on killing have found a way to their goal," Mr Kouchner said. Editor unrepentant
Correspondents report that Kosovo Albanians are frustrated by the slow progress of the legal system in the province in dealing with people they believe are their former oppressors.
"They robbed, looted, beat and expelled their Albanian neighbours from their houses. They terrorised the residents of this neighbourhood continuously," Dita said. The paper's editor, Behlul Becaj, said he was sorry Mr Topoljski had been killed but he insisted his paper had only done its job. "I would do the same thing again if such a case came up," Mr Becaj said. |
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Europe stories now:
Links to more Europe stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Europe stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|