BBC Homepage World Service Education
BBC Homepagelow graphics version | feedback | help
BBC News Online
 You are in: UK
Front Page 
World 
UK 
England 
Northern Ireland 
Scotland 
Wales 
UK Politics 
Business 
Sci/Tech 
Health 
Education 
Entertainment 
Talking Point 
In Depth 
AudioVideo 
Wednesday, 17 May, 2000, 18:23 GMT 19:23 UK
ITV to screen royal birthday pageant
Queen Mother
A pageant is celebrating the Queen Mother's cetenary
ITV will screen live footage of the Queen Mother's 100th birthday pageant, after the BBC was criticised for turning down the broadcast.

The Independent Television network has accepted an invitation from the producer of the celebrations, Major Michael Parker, to cover it live.

Sir Trevor McDonald, John Suchet and Kirsty Young will front the broadcast which will be produced by ITN.

The BBC rejected suggestions last week that it snubbed the Queen Mother by opting not to show live coverage of a pageant in her honour.

ITV director of programmes David Liddiment said their decision was based on the fact that the "British public wants the chance to share in this historic event".

'We wish ITV well'

But the BBC said it will be providing extensive coverage of other birthday celebrations taking place throughout the summer.

A BBC spokeswoman said the corporation had thought "long and hard" about covering the event.


The BBC's coverage of the Queen Mother's birthday celebrations
Live coverage of the state Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral
Songs of Praise special from Glamis (Her Majesty's birthplace)
Live coverage (two hours) from Clarence House/Buckingham Palace with David Dimbleby on the birthday
Repeat of BBC documentary of Her Majesty as a young girl/woman
Entertainment led retrospective 'The Queen Mother at the Royal Variety Show'
The Royal Variety Show later this year will celebrate the birthday

"We decided that Her Majesty's birthday itself should be our main priority and that the BBC's comprehensive level of coverage was right," she said.

"Now that another broadcaster has decided to cover the pageant we wish it and the organisers well.

"We will of course cover the event on our news programmes."

Major General Evelyn Webb-Carter, chairman of the organising committee, said: "We are delighted that, thanks to ITV, this tribute will now be seen by many more people around the country."

And Tory MP Peter Ainsworth also congratulated ITV for taking up the invitation.

The pageant, on 19 July, is the main focus of the event involving a cast of 7,000 as well as many charities for whom the Queen Mother is patron.

Among the highlights will be a march-past of the Household Cavalry and King's Troop, a fly-past by Second World War aircraft, music from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and a tribute from actor Sir John Mills.

Search BBC News Online

Advanced search options
Launch console
BBC RADIO NEWS
BBC ONE TV NEWS
WORLD NEWS SUMMARY
PROGRAMMES GUIDE
See also:

29 Apr 00 | UK
Queen Mother is safe bet
23 Apr 00 | UK
Royal Easter parade
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more UK stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more UK stories