| You are in: Entertainment | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, 17 May, 2000, 11:04 GMT 12:04 UK
Late deal secures new X-Files
![]() Duchovny and Anderson: Their chemistry has made the show a worldwide hit
The X-Files is to return for a new series after a last-minute deal with creator Chris Carter - but mystery still surrounds David Duchovny's future with the programme.
American television network Fox signed its new agreement with Carter on Tuesday, one day before it was due to present The X-Files to advertisers as part of its autumn schedule. But while star Gillian Anderson is signed up for another year, her fellow lead Duchovny's position has been unclear since he took legal action against Fox, claiming he had been underpaid.
Carter said he was prepared to write a series without Duchovny - "I've agreed to do it either way" - but he would prefer not to. The seven-year-old series, which has won 13 Emmys and three Golden Globes, centres on the investigations of special agents Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) as they look into unsolved FBI cases such as UFO sightings, while unseen forces appear to be hindering their work. It is shown in the UK on Sky and the BBC. Production moved from Vancouver, Canada, to Los Angeles at Duchovny's request, and he is insisting on working less and being paid more for the series.
His lawsuit claims Fox gave its affliliate stations favourable deals on re-runs of The X-Files, when the programme could be sold to the highest bidder. Duchovny, 39, says he was underpaid on the series' profits as a result. His representatives were unavailable for comment. It has been reported that Fox is considering having Duchovny return on a part-time basis in the new series. A statement from the company said: "The X-Files will return to Fox in the fall for an eighth season with Gillian Anderson. "Negotiations with co-star David Duchovny continue regarding his return for an additional season." On Monday night's edition of the Late Show with David Letterman, Anderson, 31, said producers of the show had prepared different endings for the finale of the seventh series - to be screened on 21 May - to allow for the possibility of Duchovny leaving.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Entertainment stories now:
Links to more Entertainment stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Entertainment stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|