| You are in: World: Africa | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]()
|
Wednesday, 17 May, 2000, 19:09 GMT 20:09 UK
Rebel leader in secret custody
![]() Sankoh (right) was bundled into a civilian car
Sierra Leonean rebel leader Foday Sankoh is being held at a secret location following his capture in the capital Freetown.
The country's Information Minister, Dr Julius Spencer, told the BBC that the rebel leader had been detained by police at his home and was now being held in an undisclosed location for his own protection. "If the public knows where he is, it is going to be extremely difficult to keep him safe," Dr Spencer said.
His fighters recently detained up to 500 United Nations personnel, over 300 of whom are believed to be still held hostage. Dr Spencer said he hoped Mr Sankoh could be persuaded to "send a message" to his men to stop what they were doing, and if he refused "appropriate steps" would be taken. Mr Sankoh was on Wednesday handed over to British forces who whisked him away in a military helicopter.
Witnesses have told journalists he was spotted next door to his home early on Wednesday, and local residents tipped off the authorities. Reports say Mr Sankoh was wounded in the leg during the brief gun battle which followed, and is said to have been stripped naked before being taken to military headquarters. He was taken onto the British helicopter on a stretcher. Fighting The arrest came shortly before reports of new clashes involving RUF rebels.
The incident, in the early hours of Wednesday, is thought to be the first time that Britain's 800-strong paratroop force, sent to Sierra Leone last week, has been drawn into combat. In the second clash, rebels killed a UN peacekeeper and six Sierra Leonean soldiers in an attack on Port Loko, some 40 kilometres (25 miles) north of the capital, the UN said. Jubilation Mr Sankoh went missing last week after a massive anti-RUF demonstration turned violent outside his house. Some 19 people were killed when his bodyguards opened fire on the crowd. Hundreds of people celebrated outside the gates of the barracks where Mr Sankoh was taken immediately after his arrest as soldiers armed with rocket launchers and automatic rifles tried to maintain order.
Since his disappearance there had been fears that Mr Sankoh could re-join his fighting forces in the jungle and attacks would intensify. The RUF has in recent weeks violated a peace accord by refusing to lay down its guns. The rebels have released 139 of the UN peacekeepers who were taken hostage two weeks ago. Partial breakthrough Some of them arrived back in Freetown via Liberia early on Wednesday but the RUF still holds about 350 others. Another 46 peacekeepers and military observers are still in Liberia, waiting to return. The partial breakthrough in the hostage crisis came after negotiations involving the President of Liberia, Charles Taylor. Between 30 and 40 of the remaining hostages are suffering from illnesses and injuries, including gunshot wounds, President Taylor said.
|
See also:
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Africa stories now:
Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Links to more Africa stories
|
|
|
^^ Back to top News Front Page | World | UK | UK Politics | Business | Sci/Tech | Health | Education | Entertainment | Talking Point | In Depth | AudioVideo ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |
|